Québec

The St. Louis Gate

The St. Louis Gate
(Represented on our SuperGraphic) 

(In the 21st Century)

St. Louis Gate (or "La porte Saint-Louis" in French) represented on our SuperGraphic, as it appears today, dates from 1878 and was designed by Lord Dufferin, the Governor General of Canada from 1872 to 1878. But this is the "modern version" of St. Louis Gate, compared to how it looked at the time of its origin, as early as 1693. Like all the other sections of Old Québec's Fortified Wall, St. Louis Gate had a "life" of its own. It was constructed, renovated, modified, restored, demolished and rebuilt many times throughout its history:

  • The structure of 1693 was built by the French under Governor Frontenac;
  • In 1720, a new French chief engineer, Chaussegros de Léry, had it restored;
  • It was demolished by the British in 1791, because of its poor condition, and rebuilt;
  • That new structure itself lasted until 1823, when it was replaced by the British;
  • It was eventually removed altogether in 1871, because it had become obsolete;
  • In 1878, for embellishment, it was rebuilt as the St. Louis Gate still existing today.

Let's have a closer look at St. Louis Gate as it appears today…

Saint Louis Gate
A horse-drawn carriage enters St. Louis Gate and you can see farther away, outside Old Québec, the Loews Le Concorde Hotel (which is also represented on our SuperGraphic as a "structure of the future").
© 2009 U-Haul International, Inc. / Photo by Jonathan Houle.

Saint Louis Gate inside
This view inside the opening of St. Louis Gate shows its depth, which also indicates the depth of Old Québec's Fortified Wall in that area.
© 2009 U-Haul International, Inc. / Photo by Jonathan Houle.

Saint Louis Gate from inside
A walled staircase at the right of St. Louis Gate (as seen from Old Québec) leads to the top of that gate.
© 2009 U-Haul International, Inc. / Photo by Jonathan Houle.
Saint Louis Gate ramparts
This view on top of St. Louis Gate also shows its depth, which indicates the depth of Old Québec's Fortified Wall in that area.
© 2009 U-Haul International, Inc. / Photo by Jonathan Houle.

Saint Louis Gate at night
At night this time, another horse-drawn carriage enters St. Louis Gate and you can still see, farther away, the Loews Le Concorde Hotel.
© 2009 U-Haul International, Inc. / Photo by Jonathan Houle.

Quebec City evening
Here is another splendid view of St. Louis Gate at night (at the bottom-right of the photo) from the other side of that gate, entering Old Québec. The sections of the Fortified Wall linked to that gate are illuminated as well. As for the fairy-tale structure in front of the Fortified Wall, it is an illuminated ice palace built especially for Québec City's Winter Carnival and not part of the Fortified Wall.
© 1999 Éditions Phidal, Inc. / Book entitled "Québec, La Belle Province", page 75. / Photo reproduced with the permission of Éditions Phidal.