The other 4 gates
The Other Four Gates
(Kent, St. John, Prescott
(In the 21st Century)
Four more gates located in other sections of Old Québec's Fortified Wall also have survived to this day. Most of them have a long history which is very similar to the history of St. Louis Gate, but with different dates and developments…
Kent Gate (or "La porte Kent" in French) has a shorter history than the other existing gates. It was constructed in 1879, after the Canadian Confederation was born (in 1867), and named in honor of Queen Victoria's father, the Duke of Kent, who may have lived in Québec City from 1791 to 1794. Kent Gate was built solely for urban-embellishment purposes and Queen Victoria herself provided the funds for its construction, as a gift to the Province of Québec.
Kent Gate was constructed in 1879, solely for urban-embellishment purposes.
© September 2, 2007 / Photo uploaded by Ullysses' Photostream (2,760) / IMG_4229.
Image Source: flickr.com/photos/hansraffelt/1316546758/
St. John Gate (or "La porte Saint-Jean" in French) dates from 1693 and was built by the French. In 1720, it was demolished and rebuilt. Then in 1791, because of its poor condition, St. John Gate was restored by the British and lasted until 1823, when it was again replaced. St. John Gate was demolished in 1865 and rebuilt in 1867. Because it had become an obstacle to traffic (especially to the electric tramway) at the end of the 19th Century, St. John Gate was removed altogether in 1898. In 1939, solely for urban-embellishment purposes, St. John Gate was rebuilt as it exists today.
St. John Gate dates from 1693, but was constructed as it exists today in 1939.
© September 14, 2007 / Personal photo by Christophe Finot / Photo reproduced with the permission of Attribution ShareAlike 2.5, under the terms of the Creative Commons License.
Image Source: fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Qu%C3%A9bec_-_Fortifications_de_Qu%C3%A9bec_-_Porte_Saint-Jean_1.jpg
Prescott Gate (or "La porte Prescott" in French) was constructed in 1797 by British General Robert Prescott and named after him. It was built in the street which ran up the high cliffs called "Côte de la Montagne", to better control access to the Upper Town from the Lower Town, in Old Québec. Prescott Gate was modified and fortified in 1823, then survived until 1871, when it was demolished. In 1983, on the occasion of the 375th anniversary of Québec City, Parks Canada built a footbridge in its honor, in Côte de la Montagne, that became known as the new ... "Prescott Gate".
Prescott Gate as it stands today was built by Parks Canada as a footbridge in 1983.
© 2003 / Photo by "busand2003" / Selected for Google Earth with ID 16180494.
Image Source: panoramio.com/photo/16180494
Dalhousie Gate (or "La porte Dalhousie" in French) was built by the British in 1827 as the main entrance to the Citadel and survives today very much as it was built at that time. It is a very interesting gate that helps in understanding how the gates that were historically part of Old Québec's Fortified Wall were built in previous centuries. Their openings were far narrower for strategic defense purposes than the openings of the gates that exist today, except for Dalhousie Gate, which still exhibits the special narrow opening of earlier gates.
Dalhousie Gate still looks very much as it did when it was built in 1827. It reminds us of the gates of the past, when their narrow openings served a strategic defense goal. It is the main entrance to the Citadel.
© 2009-2010 Tours Voir Québec.
Image Source: toursvoirquebec.com/en/old-quebec-tours/old-quebec-and-citadel