Preparation and smart packing are essential to keeping your stored possessions in good shape while helping you maximize space in your storage room. Whether you are shopping for self-storage or already have a room, these tips will help you make the most out of your storage unit.
- Have blankets, draperies, and out-of-season clothing clean and ready to be packed on a hanger or wardrobe box.
- Pack books flat, not standing on end (which may cause damage to the spines). Books are extremely heavy, so don't pack too many in one box.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
- Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together.
- Don't overpack boxes. Overfilled boxes will rupture and topple when stacked.
- Heat-sensitive goods such as videotapes, albums, photographs and wood furniture are best stored in a climate-controlled storage room.
- Clean and dry your appliances. Keep refrigerator doors slightly ajar and use the space inside for additional storage.
Fill your storage space
- If you're storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and disassemble to conserve storage space.
- Use shelving to take full advantage of the storage space.
- Store couches on end (except sofa beds).
- When packing your storage room, create a center aisle for access to all items.
- Store items you'll need most often at the front of the unit.