Oakland, CA Moving Tips and Services
One of the largest cities in the Bay Area behind San Francisco and San Jose, Oakland is home to more than 390,000 residents and growing daily. In recent years, Oakland has made great strides to compete for attention with its more famous neighbor across the bay. It has been recognized as one of America’s top cities to visit by the New York Times and one of “America’s Coolest Cities.” With relatively cheap housing when compared to other cities in the Bay Area, you’ll find that you’ll be one of many making the move to this wonderful city.
Information on Moving to and Living in Oakland
In partnership with local businesses, U-Haul has 13 locations spread throughout the city of Oakland. Whether you need to rent or drop off a truck, grab some moving supplies, or find a place to store your extra stuff, we’ll have a location placed conveniently nearby.
- Bay Bridge – You may end up using the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge during your move. The toll bridge has been newly reconstructed as of September 2, 2013. Check with the Bay Area Toll Authority to see what the toll amount will be if you end up using the bridge.
- Street Sweeping – Keep an eye out for street sweeping signs! Many residential streets are swept twice a month during business hours. Vehicles, including your moving truck, can be ticketed and fined for parking on the street during these times!
- Diverse Neighborhoods – There are over 50 neighborhoods within Oakland. Some of the notable ones are Fruitvale which is home to Oakland’s largest Latino population, Temescal which has an influx of hipster culture, family-oriented Rockridge, Oakland Hills which have historically been more affluent, Uptown the entertainment center of the city, and industrial West Oakland. These are just a few of the many neighborhoods. Piedmont Avenue, Lake Merritt Park, Upper Laurel, and Chinatown are other favorites, but don’t limit yourself to just the ones listed above. With so many options, you’ll find a place that will fit your lifestyle.
- Lake Merritt – Pride of the city, Lake Merritt has a wide range of outdoor and recreational activities that any visitor or resident can take advantage of. You’ll find a wildlife refuge, running paths, and parks to observe nature; you might even forget you’re in the middle of a city. Frequent the lake enough, and you might spot the infamous Oak-ness Monster.
Did you know?
- Stop, Hammer time! – MC Hammer is the official tourism spokesperson for the city; he’s written songs and created videos promoting his hometown of Oakland.
Find nearby storage units, Moving Help®, and truck rental locations in Oakland.