Whether you’re packing for moving, shipping or storage, choosing cardboard boxes that will provide optimal protection for your belongings is a key part of the process. U-Haul’s heavy-duty moving boxes offer all the same benefits as standard moving boxes, but in a more durable and versatile package.
The increased durability comes from the double corrugated cardboard design, also known as double-wall construction. This specially designed cardboard makes these boxes ideal for moving, storing and packing fragile items that need extra protection, and heavy, bulky items that require a sturdier box.
What are double-wall boxes?
Double-wall corrugated boxes are cardboard boxes with two corrugated cardboard layers instead of one. This gives each box twice as much protection from environmental contaminants like moisture, dirt and dust that may threaten your items while they’re packed away.
To get an idea of how this works, imagine the walls in your home, but with twice the insulation and structure. Or, think of how double-pane windows prevent outdoor temperatures and UV rays from entering your home, or how well heavy-duty coolers keep food and drinks cool during the summer. An extra layer can go a long way toward protection and insulation.
How strong is double-wall cardboard?
The short answer: much stronger than standard, or single-wall cardboard. For example, the Large Heavy-Duty Box can carry up to 80 pounds, while the standard Large Moving Box holds up to 65 pounds. The heavy-duty box also has a 48 edge crush test (ECT), which refers to stacking strength. For comparison, the standard box has a 32 ECT.
Types of heavy-duty boxes
U-Haul heavy-duty boxes are available in four sizes (like the standard boxes) to provide a versatile selection and maximum flexibility when it comes to packing, shipping and storing your belongings.
- Small: 16-3/8" x 12-5/8" x 12-5/8" (W x L x H), 1.5 cu. ft.
- Medium: 18 1/8” x 18” x 16” (W x L x H), 3 cu. ft.
- Large: 18" x 18" x 24" (W x L x H), 4.5 cu. ft.
- Extra-Large: 24" x 18" x 24" (W x L x H), 6 cu. ft.
All boxes meet the UPS, USPS and FedEx shipping requirements, are 100% recyclable and reusable and feature perforated handles for easier carrying and loading.
How to use heavy-duty boxes
There are many ways to take advantage of the benefits U-Haul heavy-duty boxes provide. Here are some common uses and ways they can help make your move easier.
- Carrying multiple items: A sturdier box allows you to fit more items in each box. This reduces the number of boxes required to complete your move, saving you money and space.
- Packing fragile items: By combining heavy-duty boxes with packing supplies like Packing Paper, Cushion Foam and Packing Peanuts, you can safely pack your most fragile household items.
- Hauling heavy items: Using heavy-duty boxes to move your bulky items minimizes the chances of your boxes collapsing, tearing or splitting at the bottom and causing damage to your items.
- Storing valuable items: Heavy-duty boxes are the best boxes for long-term storage of valuable items, including small appliances, electronics, kitchenware, book and vinyl collections and more.
Packing Made EasierSM
Ready to see why U-Haul is the best place to get boxes for moving? You can easily order moving boxes, including double wall boxes and other essential moving supplies, online today! Get your moving boxes delivered or pick up in store on your schedule.