- What hours are you open?
Centers (Company stores) Independent dealers Mon - Thurs 7am - 7pm Varies Friday 7am - 8pm Varies Saturday 7am - 7pm Varies Sunday 9am - 5pm Varies
- How do I locate my neighborhood U-Haul location?
- Use our location finder. It will produce a map of the locations nearest to you, along with contact information.
- How old do I need to be to rent and/or operate equipment from U-Haul?
- U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver's license.
- Do I need a special driver's license?
- No. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks with a government issued driver's license.
- If I don't know my exact move date, can I still get a rate quote for my move?
If you aren't sure of your exact move date we recommend that you use an approximate date around the time you think you will be moving to give you a frame of reference. Rates vary based on equipment size, location and date. Traditionally, rates are lower Sunday through Thursday. Search for a rate quote.
Not sure when you're moving, but know when your lease is up? Check out our U-Box portable storage solution.
- Can I get my In-Town rental for more than 24hrs?
- The scheduling of equipment is based on available time frames ranging from 1 hour up to a 24-hour rental period. Some locations do, however, offer multiple day In-Town rentals on our trailer fleet. If you need to store your belongings for more than 24 hours and then move them, we recommend renting a U-Box.
- How can I save money on an In-Town truck rental?
Move in one trip (or as few as possible).
Most People pack differently when moving in-town. If you are estimating more time, or planning more trips back and forth because you are reserving a smaller moving truck, you should Super Move It® by upgrading to a larger truck.
A larger truck saves you time, mileage and fuel. This simply means money saved... your money.
- Why aren't the rates for some equipment quoted to me online?
Some of our equipment is available for local moves only, including our cargo van, pickup truck, and open trailers. Some trailers and towing equipment may not be available because they cannot be towed by your chosen towing vehicle.
Roof Pouches and Horse Trailers are only available in specific markets. Please call your neighborhood U-Haul location or 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) to check availability, obtain rates, and to make a reservation.
- How are U-Haul truck rates determined?
In-Town move rates include a set amount for the rental period, plus a per mile charge.
One-way move rates are determined by a combination of truck size, point of origin, destination and the date of the move. The price includes an allowed mileage and a set number of days to complete your move.
Rental rates can change at anytime, so it is recommended that you confirm your reservation as soon as possible to lock in the rate. View moving truck rates.
- Why is U-Haul giving me more days in my one-way rental than I need?
- Safety is our number one concern. Our goal is to provide our one-way customers with ample time to complete their move safely. While there is no discount for unused days, you are encouraged to return your rental equipment as soon as you're finished with it. Doing so will eliminate any parking concerns and will also relieve you from being responsible for the equipment.
- Can I purchase additional days on my one-way move?
Yes. However, it's critical for you to plan this in advance with your pickup location so that your rental contract will be accurate and so that scheduling for other families at your destination can be adjusted. The prepaid fees for extra days are outlined below:
U-Haul trucks - $40 per day
U-Haul trailers - $20 per day
U-Haul towing devices - $20 per day
- Can I purchase additional miles on my one-way move?
- Yes. The fee is $0.40 per mile if you exceed the allowed mileage.
- Do you need a credit card to reserve or rent equipment?
Making a reservation online requires a credit card, but you are not required to use a credit card when paying for your rental. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- Can I use a debit card to reserve or rent equipment?
- Yes, the debit card must have a Visa or MasterCard logo.
- Do I have to pay a deposit when renting a U-Haul truck?
The total estimated charges for your rental are due when you pick up your equipment. Payment can be made by credit card, debit card or cash.
No deposit is required if paying by major credit card, or debit card with a major credit card logo. If paying by cash, the following is due when you pick up your equipment.
- In-Town truck: $100 or estimated rental charges (whichever is greater).
- One-Way truck: $100 plus rental rate.
Cash is accepted for Pickup and Van rentals, however, a valid credit or debit card with a major credit card logo will also need to be presented in the name of the renter.
- Can I pay in full for a family member?
- Yes, you can pay in full for a family member's One-Way rental by calling our Sales and Reservations department at 1-800-468-4285 or by purchasing Gift Certificates. Gift Certificates can be used towards the rental of equipment, purchase of a trailer hitch, packing supplies, propane gas, storage, Moving Help, etc.
- Can I pay with my credit card and have someone else pickup the equipment?
- We prefer the card holder be present when the equipment is picked up. If another person is picking up the equipment, they will be responsible for the equipment and have to sign the contract. They will also be required to show adequate meaningful assurance such as a credit card, driver's license and phone number to verify.
- Why is there a hold on my credit card and why does it take 3-5 business days to be removed?
This "hold" amount will be released within 3 to 5 business days,
depending on your financial institution. You may check with your credit
card institution regarding how long it will take them to release the
"hold" on your funds. Click here Request Hold Release to send us the information we need to assist you.
When renting, you were informed of the following:
"Your credit card is being authorized for $XX. Available funds on your credit card or bank account will be reduced by this amount. Actual charges to your credit card will be determined when you return the equipment."
- My friend/relative is going to drive my U-Haul rental truck for me. Will I be responsible if they get into an accident?
The person who signs the U-Haul contract is fully responsible for the U-Haul equipment. Be sure to ask about our Safemove® and Safetow® coverage packages for protection and peace of mind.
Why not let us do the driving? Rent a U-Box moving container.
- How many people can ride in your trucks and are car seats safe?
- Some of our 10' moving trucks and cargo vans are only equipped with 2 bucket seats. However, most of our equipment will seat 3 passengers with safety restraints. Most of our trucks are equipped with air bags and may not satisfy local requirements for car seats. Young children and those in car seats should not be seated in front seats. For larger families we recommend driving your own vehicle and moving your belongings with U-Box moving containers.
- What type of gas is used for your trucks and approximately how many miles per gallon should I expect?
- Visit our equipment details page and then select a truck to get the specifics on each size. Details will include dimensions, miles per gallon, etc.
- In the event that I have trouble with the equipment, what should I do?
- In the event you experience problems, visit myuhaul.com and request Roadside Assistance. Service will be sent to your location and updates can be sent to your mobile device. Service is available 24/7, 365 days a year. You can also contact Roadside Assistance by calling 1-800-528-0355.
- Do I need to stop at the weigh stations?
- The laws vary from state to state and throughout Canada. Normally U-Haul customers moving their own household goods are not required to stop, because it is not a commercial move. However, some states require that all trucks stop at the weigh stations. If in doubt, stop at the weigh station.
- Can I take a U-Haul truck across the U.S./Canadian border?
Yes, you are permitted to cross the U.S./Canadian border during a move. You will be subject to any laws and regulations governing the border. For the latest information call one of the numbers below.
Canada Border Services Agency
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- What does U-Haul do with the money collected as an environmental fee?
Since 1945, the U-Haul Companies ("U-Haul") have helped families move to a better future.
The Customer money collected as an environmental fee is used to support and foster the development and maintenance of sustainable U-Haul business operations. For example, operations that directly benefit our customers include, but are not limited to, the use of aerodynamic fuel-saving truck skirts, the fuel economy gauge, CNG and propane trucks, storage re-use centers, and an expanding alt-fuel propane infrastructure. The fee also partially covers operations that indirectly benefit our customers, such as energy-efficient lighting and HVAC retrofits, waste-oil heaters, water recycling units, van-body storage units, permeable ground cover and other water/energy saving projects.
- How will I know where to drop off my equipment?
- Call the phone number listed on your rental contract for the most convenient location to return your equipment upon arrival at your destination.
- How much gas needs to be in the tank when I return a truck?
We simply ask that you return the truck with the same amount of gas that it had when you picked it up.
- Is my reservation guaranteed?
Yes. Your U-Haul reservation is guaranteed!
When you make a reservation, we guarantee to provide you with the equipment size, location, and pickup time as agreed.
Should you not receive the equipment size, location, and pickup time you agreed to, U-Haul will compensate you $50.
U-Haul reservation guarantees are subject to the following terms and conditions
- The Reservation Guarantee does not apply to the initial intake of a customer’s reservation regardless of how the customer makes their reservation.
- After the customer makes an initial reservation, the U-Haul rental location ('rental location') for the customer’s city and state will be in charge of the reservation.
- The rental location will contact you the day prior to your requested pickup date to schedule the equipment and actual pick up time, date and location.
- Once the rental location representatives speak with you and agree with you on a pickup time, date and location, the reservation will then be considered “guaranteed” (the agreed upon equipment will be at the agreed upon location at the time scheduled). If U-Haul fails to fill your guaranteed reservation, it will pay you $50 as liquidated damages. If you fail to pick up the equipment at the agreed upon location within one hour of the time scheduled for pick up, U-Haul may cancel your reservation and it will not be obligated to pay you the $50. Regular cancellation policies may apply.
- U-Haul has the right to substitute equipment of equal or greater size to fill your guaranteed reservation.
- If U-Haul representatives are unable to contact you to schedule and agreed upon time, date and location of your pick-up, the reservation will not be considered guaranteed.
In the event of war, riot, civil unrest, insurrection, Act of God or other force of nature that significantly disrupts the operations of U-Haul, it shall not be obligated to pay customers the $50 payment even if the reservation had been guaranteed.
- How can I modify or cancel an existing reservation?
If you do not need the equipment you have reserved, please let us know by the day prior to your move date.
You may look up a pending reservation in order to change or cancel it or by contacting your local U-Haul representative or your pick up location.
- How do I get a copy of my receipt?
- Every customer gets a copy of their contract. This contract is your receipt. If you require another, you can look up your order or submit a contract request.
- Does U-Haul offer discounted rates for additional days and extended mileage?
Yes, we do have special rates for customers who can pick up and return at the same location and need multiple days or weeks and/or need to cover hundreds of miles.
For the best rate, head to uhaul.com/trucks/ and fill in the green form. Give us your pickup location and move date as normal, and on the next page you will see a link for “extended days/miles special rates” on our cargo vans and 8' trucks. All you need to do is specify your estimated mileage and how long you’ll need the rental, and our system will return the best available rates.