General U-Haul Questions
- What hours are you open?
Centers (Company stores) Independent dealers Mon - Thurs 7am - 7pm Varies Friday 7am - 8pm Varies Saturday 7am - 7pm Varies Sunday 9am - 5pm Varies
- How do I locate my neighborhood U-Haul location?
- Use our location finder. It will produce a map of the locations nearest to you, along with contact information.
- How old do I need to be to rent and/or operate equipment from U-Haul?
- U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailers and 18 years of age to rent our trucks. Both require a valid driver's license.
- Do I need a special driver's license?
- No. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. U-Haul requires our customers to be 16 years of age to rent our trailersand 18 years of age to rent our trucks with a government issued driver's license.
- If I don't know my exact move date, can I still get a rate quote for my move?
If you aren't sure of your exact move date we recommend that you use an approximate date around the time you think you will be moving to give you a frame of reference. Rates vary based on equipment size, location and date. Traditionally, rates are lower Sunday through Thursday. Search for a rate quote.
Not sure when you're moving, but know when your lease is up? Check out our U-Box portable storage solution.
- Why aren't the rates for some equipment quoted to me online?
Some of our equipment is available for local moves only, including our cargo van, pickup truck, and open trailers. Some trailers and towing equipment may not be available because they cannot be towed by your chosen towing vehicle.
Roof Pouches and Horse Trailers are only available in specific markets. Please call your neighborhood U-Haul location or 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) to check availability, obtain rates, and to make a reservation.
- Do you need a credit card to reserve or rent equipment?
Making a reservation online requires a credit card, but you are not required to use a credit card when paying for your rental. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- Can I use a debit card to reserve or rent equipment?
- Yes, the debit card must have a Visa or MasterCard logo.
- Can I pay with my credit card and have someone else pickup the equipment?
- We prefer the card holder be present when the equipment is picked up. If another person is picking up the equipment, they will be responsible for the equipment and have to sign the contract. They will also be required to show adequate meaningful assurance such as a credit card, driver's license and phone number to verify.
- Why is there a hold on my credit card and why does it take 3-5 business days to be removed?
This "hold" amount will be released within 3 to 5 business days,depending on your financial institution. You may check with your creditcard institution regarding how long it will take them to release the"hold" on your funds. Click here Request Hold Release to send us the information we need to assist you.
When renting, you were informed of the following:
"Your credit card is being authorized for $XX. Available funds on yourcredit card or bank account will be reduced by this amount. Actualcharges to your credit card will be determined when you return theequipment."
- In the event that I have trouble with the equipment, what should I do?
- In the event you experience problems, visit myuhaul.com and request Roadside Assistance. Service will be sent to your location and updates can be sent to your mobile device. Service is available 24/7, 365 days a year. You can also contact Roadside Assistance by calling 1-800-528-0355.
- Do I need to stop at the weigh stations?
- The laws vary from state to state and throughout Canada. Normally U-Haul customers moving their own household goods are not required to stop, because it is not a commercial move. However, some states require that all trucks stop at the weigh stations. If in doubt, stop at the weigh station.
- What does U-Haul do with the money collected as an environmental fee?
Since 1945, the U-Haul Companies (“U-Haul”) have helped families move to a better future.
The Customer money collected as an environmental fee is used to support and foster the development and maintenance of sustainable U-Haul business operations. For example, operations that directly benefit our customers include, but are not limited to, the use of aerodynamic fuel-saving truck skirts, the fuel economy gauge, CNG and propane trucks, storage re-use centers, and an expanding alt-fuel propane infrastructure. The fee also partially covers operations that indirectly benefit our customers, such as energy-efficient lighting and HVAC retrofits, waste-oil heaters, water recycling units, van-body storage units, permeable ground cover and other water/energy saving projects.
- How will I know where to drop off my equipment?
- Call the phone number listed on your rental contract for the most convenient location to return your equipment upon arrival at your destination.
- Is my reservation guaranteed?
U-Haul agrees to contact a reserved customer the day prior to pickup to finalize time, place and equipment size. If this varies from customer’s reservation preference and an acceptable alternative is not agreeable, U-Haul will make a $50 “Reservation Guarantee” payment, the reservation will be terminated and the matter closed.
Should U-Haul, through its fault, fail to contact customer the day prior and be unable to meet preferred time, place or size, then the $50 reservation guarantee will be paid and U-Haul will still attempt to fill the reservation.
- How can I modify or cancel an existing reservation?
If you do not need the equipment you have reserved, please let us know by the day prior to your move date.
You may look up a pending reservation in order to change or cancel it or by contacting your local U-Haul representative or your pick up location.
- How do I get a copy of my receipt?
- Every customer gets a copy of their contract. This contract is your receipt. If you require another, you can look up your order or submit a contract request.
- Can I pay in full for a family member?
- Yes, you can pay in full for a family member's One-Way rental by calling our Sales and Reservations department at 1-800-468-4285 or by purchasing Gift Certificates. Gift Certificates can be used towards the rental of equipment, purchase of a trailer hitch, packing supplies, propane gas, storage, Moving Help, etc.