- How do U-Box containers for moving and storage differ from other companies, and how does it work?
U-Box offers multiple delivery options to suit your needs.
Self delivery Pick up U-Box at your convenience with a U-Box trailer Load/unload at U-Haul Save time and money by loading/unloading at U-Haul MovingHelp® Delivery Professional Moving Helpers deliver your U-Box container, fill or empty it, and take it for storage or shipping. Truck delivery Ground level loading at your location
Once you have the U-Box containers at your residence, load them at your convenience and then either bring the loaded U-Box container back to U-Haul on our customer designed trailer, or call us and we pick them up with our flatbed truck.
- What is included in my quote?
- Cost for delivery to and from your home (trailer rental or truck delivery fee where applicable).
- Cost for shipping (transportation charges).
- Cost for storage (monthly fee to store your U-Box containers in our secure facility).
The low cost rate is guaranteed to be the FINAL price. You won't have to worry about unexpected costs like fuel, hotel stays, extra driving time etc. Using U-Box Units provides the convenience of knowing you can leave your items with us until you're ready.
- When do I pay for my U-Box containers?
U-Haul makes payments simple. When you make the reservation, we will collect your credit card information simply to hold your reservation. Nothing is due at the time of reservation. You will be charged the first month’s rent and delivery charge on the morning of the delivery. Every month thereafter, on the same day, we will charge your credit card with the monthly rent.
If you are moving one-way, we charge shipping 5 days prior to your guaranteed arrival date. Any delivery charges will be charged to your card the morning of the delivery at your destination.
- How much does it cost?
U-Box reservations can be made up of two segments (local delivery and storage) or three segments (local delivery at origin, shipping, and local delivery at destination). There are several delivery options to fit your budget, including free and do-it-yourself delivery options by towing a specially made U-Box trailer. Unlike our competitors, you can get a one-way quote online and choose the delivery option that is right for you.
Other cost factors to consider when you move with U-Box:
- No driving or hauling your goods
- No extra fuel costs
- Save time and add convenience with home delivery
- How big are U-Box® containers?
- The internal dimensions are approximately 4’8” (56") wide x 7’11” (95") long x 6’11 ½" (83.5”) high. Capacity is about 250 cubic feet, holding up to 2,000 lbs. On the outside, each U-Box container is 5’ (60”) wide x 8’ (96”) long x 7.5’ (90”) high. Each container has a large door for easy access and will typically accommodate an average room to a room and a half of household goods and furniture. U-Box containers rest about 6 inches off the ground to ensure that your belongings are safe and dry. A King size mattress will fit standing up. A California King mattress will fit diagonally (corner to corner inside the box is 100.5"). View complete dimensions, including metric, here.
- How do I know how many U-Box containers I will need?
- Let us help you by using our estimator tool. You can always get a quote from our online reservation system. If you end up getting more containers than you need, we will be happy to pick up the unused U-Box containers and credit you back the full cost. You’ll never be charged for U-Box containers you don’t use.
- How much time do I have to load/unload U-Box containers?
- Customers are able to load goods into U-Box containers on their own time line, not ours. Keeping the U-Box container on site is an option. Just let us know that you're interested in keeping them and we’ll make arrangements to do so. While the U-Box containers are on your property, they will have a weatherproof cover to keep out moisture and ensure the safety of your goods.
- Will U-Haul load the container for me?
- U-Haul employees are not able to help load the containers, however, U-Haul has partnered with Moving Help® to provide Delivery and Load/Unload services to all of our customers. Just look for the delivery options in your area to reserve Moving Help®.
- Can I store my U-Box containers long term and will I be able to access my U-Box containers while in storage?
- You bet you can! We understand that sometimes you put certain belongings into storage that you may need to access from time to time. You can visit our storage facility for free to access your U-Box containers by simply giving us a call 24 hours in advance so that we can place your U-Box containers in a convenient location.
- What are the U-Box storage and moving containers made out of?
- U-Box storage and moving containers are made exclusively for U-Haul. Each U-Box container is made of premium, pest resistant plywood, which provides your belongings with a stable and chemical free environment to store and transport your belongings in. This is especially important for those of you with wood furniture. Our U-Box containers breathe much better than steel containers reducing the chance for mold and mildew. Each container is also covered with a highly durable, weather-resistant cover when delivered.
- How do I pack my U-Box container(s)?
We recommend watching our quick, informative video on how to properly work with and load your U-Box container before starting. Then, be sure to follow the helpful tips below.
- All avoid any empty space and stack items to the ceiling of the U-Box container. This will avoid load shift.
- Secure all rows of furniture and boxes with tie downs and rope.
- Fill empty spaces with sofa cushions, bagged pillows or U-Haul furniture pads.
- Place the heaviest items on the floor and distribute weight as evenly as possible. Avoid putting the heaviest items to one side, and put extremely heavy items in the middle of the box.
- Wrap all un-boxed items in furniture pads securely for padding protection.
- Load no more than 2,000 lbs into each U-Box container.
- Stand sofas and mattresses on end and disassemble bed frames to maximize space.
- Wrap your items in U-Haul furniture pads.
- Take advantage of tops of dressers to stack boxes and other items.
- Keep furniture pads in between the dresser top and the items.
Packing Tips & Guidelines
- Pack your belongings in each box tightly to avoid shifting of contents during transport. Use U-Haul bubble wrap and packing paper in between each item.
- U-Haul packing boxes are built for stacking to help maximize your storage space.
- Disassemble furniture to allow for tighter packing, and for easier moving. Wrap all items in U-Haul furniture pads.
- Pack books in U-Haul book boxes for easier lifting.
- Label each box to indicate it is fragile. Pack the contents with U-Haul bubble wrap and packing paper.
- Pack mirrors and pictures in U-Haul mirror boxes and bubble wrap. Wrap these boxes in U-Haul furniture pads.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with U-Haul packing tape.
- Coat fine wood furnishings with wax to prevent against scratches. Wrap these items in U-Haul furniture pads.
- How do I keep my belongings from shifting during transit?
- U-Haul makes this process easy! Just treat each U-Box container the same way you would a truck. Remember that U-Box containers are only about 6" off of the ground. Make sure you place your heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top. Fill in as much empty space as you can and make sure to use proper packing supplies. In fact, using furniture pads and using the appropriate boxes are the single most important factors in a successful move and will help your items from shifting during transit.
- Are U-Box containers secure while on my property?
- Yes, because each U-Box container door is built with latches that can be tightly closed in three different places. The middle latch has a place for you to put your own lock. If you don’t have your own lock, you can buy one here. Plus, U-Haul employees do not keep the keys or combination to your lock, only you do!
- Will my U-Box contents be insured?
- The belongings in your U-Box are not insured for loss or damage while in transit or while they are being stored in the U-Box warehouse. You can add SafeStor coverage to protect your belongings, as well as cover accidental damage to the U-Box container, U-Box cover, and associated trailer. You can add a variety of coverage options when you make your reservation.
- How do I get my U-Box to my home?
There are a variety of delivery options to fit your individual move and budget.
- Self Delivery – tow your U-Box container to your place and load at your convenience, using a specially designed trailer. Don’t have a vehicle capable of towing? That’s no problem. Rent one of our pickup trucks to tow the trailer.
- Moving Help Home Delivery – professional Moving Helpers deliver your box. You can even add load/unload service and watch as they do all the heavy lifting!
- Truck Delivery – A certified driver will use our U-Box truck to drop your containers off at your home and pick them back up when you are ready.
- Load/Unload at U-Haul location – Bring your belongings to one of your locations and load your containers there, free of charge.
Start a quote to see available options and pricing for your move.
- What items cannot be placed in my U-Box container?
Most common household goods can be placed in your U-Box container.
- Motorized items (motorcycle, ATV, riding lawn mower, etc) cannot be placed in a U-Box container unless all oils, fuel, and liquids have been drained from the engine
We do not recommend you place the following items in your U-Box container:
- Jewelry (including watches and precious stones)
- Financial records, deeds & documents
- Currency & securities
- Works of art
- Furs or garments trimmed with fur
The following items are prohibited from being placed in your U-Box container:
- Living organisms
- Flammable/Combustible liquids (gasoline, alcohol, paint thinner, etc)
- Hazardous Materials (corrosives, bleach, ammonia, etc)
- Compressed gases (propane tanks, oxygen/acetylene tanks, scuba diving tanks, etc)
- Perishables (plants, produce, food, etc)
- Explosives (ammunition, fireworks, firearms, etc)
- How do I cancel my U-Box reservation?
If you would like to cancel your U-Box reservation, call 1-877-GO-UHAUL (1-877-468-4285) and a representative will assist you with the process.
- International U-Box moves: What destination countries require international certified packers?
- Mexico, Fiji, Argentina, and Venezuela all require you have your container packed by international certified packers. We can put you in touch with someone who can do this for you. Just fill out the form and we will provide you with a quote to ship your container and contact person for packing.
- International U-Box moves: When will I receive contact information for a port agent in my destination country?
- We will not have a referred agent name until your container is on the barge. As soon as your items are in transit we will be able to get you in contact with someone in your destination country.
- International U-Box moves: What will it cost to get my container from the international port to my final destination?
- We can refer you to an international agent/broker in the country you are moving to who will get you a quote to get your items to your final destination.
- International U-Box moves: How do I pack my U-Box container and create an Inventory List?
Once you have accepted your international quote, you will be sent an information packet via email that outlines all requirements and instructions on how to pack your U-Box container, along with a template for your packing list.
- International U-Box moves: Am I required to be in the destination country when my U-Box container arrives?
- Yes, you must be present in the destination country when your container(s) arrive. This is required in order to avoid storage or detention charges at the destination port warehouse. When your U-Box container is delivered to the destination port, you can arrange for delivery to your exact destination address.
- International U-Box moves: Who arranges the customs clearance process in the destination country?
- You will need to arrange the customs clearance process and are responsible for all requirements. This rate does not include destination customs clearance fees, port/warehouse charges (THC/LCL Charges), quarantine charges, duties, customs exam fees and taxes associated with this shipment. All shipments are subject to the possibility of a customs exam.