Get the Protection You
Need for Your Move!
For Your Protection and Peace of Mind,
Safemove Has You Covered
We can't predict accidents, but we can plan for them. One of the most commonly reported accidents in the rental truck industry is a rock cracking the windshield. With Safemove®, Safemove Plus®, Safetow®, Safestor®, you can rest easy knowing that you will be protected from financial responsibility should you find yourself in an unfortunate situation. We are also offering Safetrip® for a flat rate for those unexpected roadside hazards.
Did You Know?
- Many personal auto policies exclude coverage for different types of rental vehicles.
- No proof of insurance needed to rent our equipment.
- All protection packages cover loss of use of the rental equipment.
Protection While Moving
You're responsible for all damage to rented equipment. But with Safemove®, you receive a damage waiver and much more!
Covers most accident damage to rental
equipment (does not include collision with an
For loss or damage to cargo resulting from
collision, fire, windstorm and overturn of the
Medical / Life Protection
For you and your passengers in the cab of a
U-Haul rental truck.
Protection While Moving
The only coverage that includes overhead damage and tire protection.
Supplemental Liability Coverage
Supplemental Liability Coverage (SLI)
safeguards your personal insurance policy for
the first one million dollars of losses.
Exclusion Free Coverage
Coverage for ANY accidental damage to the U-Haul
truck (including collision with an
PLUS all Safemove® Protection
- Damage Waiver
- Cargo Protection
- Medical / Life Protection
Damage caused by improper packing, normal shifting of cargo in transit or theft of cargo is not covered.
Pickup Truck and Cargo Van Coverage
Get protection and peace of mind for even the smallest moves. Our pickup trucks and cargo vans are ideal for home improvement projects, deliveries and other small loads. Make sure you're covered no matter what equipment you're renting.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
The Collision Damage Waiver is the only level of coverage available for U-Haul pickup trucks and vans.
- Low $150 deductible for most accidental damage*
- Available for pickup truck and van rentals
- No increased premiums
- Subject to exclusions
View Corporate CDW details.
Protection While Moving
You're responsible for all damage to a rented trailer, tow dolly or auto transport. But with Safetow®, you receive a damage waiver and much more!
Covers damage to the U-Haul rental trailer or
Towed Property Protection
Covers damage to your cargo or vehicle while being transported with a U-Haul rental trailer, auto transport or tow dolly. Multiple levels of protection for you to choose from.
Medical / Life Protection
Provides you with medical and life protection, in case of an accident (subject to exclusions). Your passengers' protection applies only while they are riding in the passenger area of the towing vehicle.
Supplemental Roadside Protection
Help is on the way when you need it! All U-Haul rentals include roadside assistance. SafeTrip® Supplemental Roadside Protection is an additional coverage option available to you at a low cost. Benefits include:
Safetrip is not available for Corporate Business Accounts.Safetrip® Details
Safe Trip Exclusions and Limitations
- Lockout Services
- If the Covered Customer has locked the U-Haul® Key inside the truck, U-Haul Roadside Assistance will dispatch a Service Provider from our network to open the door for them, free of charge.
- Stuck in Mud, Snow, Ice.
- If the Covered Customer has gotten a U-Haul truck or trailer stuck on land, and it is not in an off-road or wilderness location, and not beyond 100 feet from pavement, U-Haul Roadside Assistance will dispatch a Service Provider from our network to winch them out of the predicament, free of charge. Exclusions: Safetrip provides coverage solely the costs of dispatching a Service provider to get the covered Equipment unstuck. This coverage does not cover additional costs, if any, to tow the Equipment to another location should that be required. This coverage does not cover removing the Equipment from a body of water. Additional exclusions are set forth below.
- Lost Keys
- If the Covered Customer has lost the keys to the U-Haul truck, U-Haul Roadside Assistance will arrange for a replacement key to be provided, either a spare if available, or a Service Provider will be dispatched to cut a new key, free of charge.
- Trailer/Towing Hookup Problems
- If a Covered Customer has disconnected a U-Haul trailer, auto transport or tow dolly, or if the trailer, auto transport or tow dolly has become disconnected and the Customer needs assistance re-connecting to the tow vehicle listed on the contract, U-Haul Roadside Assistance will dispatch a Service Provider from our network or a U-Haul System Member to reconnect the U-Haul trailer, auto transport or tow dolly, free of charge. Exclusions: The coverage does not cover reconnecting the trailer, auto transport or tow dolly to a tow vehicle not listed on the contract. Additional exclusions are set forth below.
- Fuel Services (Up to 3 Gallons)
- If a Covered Customer runs out of fuel in their U-Haul truck, Roadside Assistance will dispatch a Service Provider from our network to bring them up to 3 gallons of fuel.
- This is not a free fuel service for the Customer’s entire trip. The Customer will be responsible for obtaining additional fuel to continue their journey. Exclusions: Coverage is limited to one call and dispatch providing no more than 3 gallons of fuel. Any additional required fuel is Customer’s sole responsibility. Customer must return the Equipment with the required amount of fuel as stated on the contract. Additional exclusions are set forth below.
- Jump Start Dead battery
- If a Covered Customer has a dead battery, in the U-Haul truck, even if due to leaving lights on, U-Haul Roadside Assistance will dispatch a Service Provider from our network to jumpstart.
- The Customer or their Authorized Driver must call U-Haul Roadside Assistance 1-800-468-4285 for coverage. Covered Customer is defined as the Customer listed on the Contract or their Authorized Driver.
ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS: Coverage is strictly limited to one covered event for each of the six numbered paragraphs above. Any coverage provided or offered by any other Safe coverage is not covered or provided under this Safetrip coverage. Even if the applicable fee has been paid and subject to any limitations imposed by applicable law, Safetrip specifically excludes and does NOT apply to any condition resulting from the following: (a) intentional or criminal or willful, wanton or reckless acts; (b) misuse or abuse of the Equipment; (c) collision with an overhead object (including but not limited to overhangs, trees, overpasses, garages, parking structures); (d) collision with a bridge; (e) off-road use; (f) any damage resulting from improper fuel use; (g) overload of the Equipment beyond the GVWR; (h) use of the Equipment by someone other than the Customer or Authorized Driver; (k) any failures to comply with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Coverage for anything not set forth above is specifically excluded.
Safestor® and Safestor Mobile®
Protection While Storing
Safestor® is low cost storage insurance that covers loss or damage for your stored goods from major perils pictured below:
Protect Your Possessions
If your belongings are worth storing, they are worth protecting. While U-Haul takes precautions to provide a safe and secure storage environment, we are not responsible for damage or loss to your stored belongings. For that reason, we offer you Safestor®, a low-cost storage insurance designed specifically for your belongings while stored at a U-Haul Self-Storage facility.
Safestor® is not available at all U-Haul dealerships.
Protect Your Possessions While in Transit With Safestor Mobile®
Homeowners insurance only covers U-Box stored belongings when they are located on your property. U-Haul offer Safestor Mobile® storage insurance so that you can protect your items while they are in a U-Box moving container.
*Burglary coverage only applies when there is evidence of forced entry and a police report has been filed. Safestor Mobile® storage insurance does not cover valuable items, including but not limited to: money, stamps, jewelry including watches, antiques, furs, motorized vehicles, bills, art, property deeds, credit cards or other securities. Additional exclusions may apply.
All exclusions are explained in the Rental Contract and Document Holder. Certificates of Coverage for Safestor® and Safestor Mobile® can be found here.
*New York locations have a $150 Damage Waiver deductible with Safemove®. **Other rates apply for Corporate Business Accounts.
Safemove and Safemove Plus® are subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental contract addendum. Collision with an overhead object and cut, blown, or damaged tires are two specific exclusions not covered by Safemove or CDW.
Safemove and Safemove Plus® are not available for U-Haul pick-up and van rentals. Ask your representative about our Collision Damage Waiver(CDW).
Safemove Plus® is not available in Canada, New York, New Jersey, Louisiana and Connecticut. Ask your local representative for details. Due to the reason of increased repair costs, Safemove, Safetow and Safemove Plus® rates are often times dynamic and vary from city to city.
Safemove, Safemove Plus®, CDW and Safetow will cover theft of your rented U-Haul equipment if neglect did not play a role in its disappearance. At no time will Safemove, Safemove Plus or Safetow cover theft of your owned motor vehicle, accessories, or personal contents in the towed trailer or rented truck.
Mechanical damage including damage to the transmission or drive train as the result of attempting to rock the truck back and forth when stuck in the ice, mud or snow, is specifically excluded with Safemove, Safemove Plus coverage. In the event you experience this situation, please call 1-800-528-0355 for assistance. For a list of other exclusions, see the rental contract addendum provided with your rental contract. These programs may or may not be in excess of what your current insurer already provides. Please check with your insurer to see if your insurance will cover rental trucks and trailers.
The purchase of Safemove and Safemove Plus® is not required in order to rent a U-Haul truck or trailer but many personal auto policies do not cover rental truck or trailer rentals. However, your personal insurance policy providing coverage on an owned automobile, or other personal policy, may provide additional coverage, and to the extent, ALI may provide a duplication of coverage. You should check with your insurance carrier prior to your rental.
The protection afforded by SLI (if it is accepted), is primary to your own policies.
Safemove Plus®, an additional liability coverage, should there happen to be a bodily injury or property damage claim made against you during the course of your U-Haul rental. Safemove Plus® also provides a damage waiver, cargo protection and medical life protection for "all around" coverage. You and authorized drivers are covered while driving your U-Haul rental truck within the United States and Canada, but only if the truck is rented and returned in the United States. SLI safeguards your personal insurance policy for the first $1,000,000 of losses. Your personal auto policies may or may not cover rental trucks. Your policy should be thoroughly checked for the terms and conditions associated with rental trucks. If you are not sure of the extent of your policy's coverage, ask your insurance agent or your insurance company (U-Haul representatives and agents are not qualified to evaluate the adequacy of your personal auto policy). No credit card companies cover rental trucks. As with any policy, you should check the extent of the coverage carefully with the card issuer. All exclusions, terms and conditions are stated in the policy; it is important that you read the policy carefully.
Repwest Insurance Company is a United States insurance company incorporated under the laws of the State of Arizona and is licensed to sell insurance products in all states and the District of Columbia, excluding Hawaii and Canada. All products are not offered in all states. Please refer to the product pages for applicable states of coverage. The descriptions of Repwest Insurance Company's insurance products and services on this World Wide Web site are provided for your general information. The insurance products and services are subject to the terms and conditions of the policies issued. Please review your policy when received for complete information. Product availability varies by state. Repwest Insurance Company makes no representation that the content provided is applicable or appropriate for use in other locations.
Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental and storage rental contract. Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are not liability insurance and each is optional.
Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental and storage rental contract. Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are not liability insurance and each is optional. Some portions of these protection packages are underwritten in the USA by Repwest Insurance Company, Phoenix, Arizona. In Canada, some portions are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company. Customers owning real or personal property may have policies that provide similar coverage elements (check your policies). Any questions, call 1-800-528-0463, ext. 672045. File a claim online or call 1-800-528-7134 (USA), 1-800-661-1069 (Canada).
All of the protection packages cover loss of use of the rental equipment. Authorized drivers are also covered as long as they are at least 18 years of age and possess a driver's license, driver's privilege card, or other government issued driver's card.
Have questions about or need help with Safemove®, Safemove Plus®, Safetow®
Contact a damage coverage specialist at Safemove@uhaul.com