We value Our customers and their privacy. We never sell your personal information.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Information
- Information Sharing
- U-Haul Equipment Location Information
- Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Online Tracking
- Choice and Access
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Access to Specific Information, Data Portability Rights, and Deletion Rights
- Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
- Links to Other Websites
- Contact Information
This policy applies to information collected by the U-Haul System. The information may be collected by web applications, this website, and in your physical or digital interactions with the U-Haul System. This policy does not apply to unrelated third parties. If We are required to contact you about your information, We reserve the right to do so by e-mail, telephone, or mail.
This website may contain links to other websites. Please be aware that We are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other websites. We encourage Our users to be aware when they leave this website and to read the privacy statements of any other website that collects information.
Information We Collect
Identifiers and contact information
- Home Address
- Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Payment Information
- Driver's License
- Date of birth
- Other forms of identification
Protected classification information (from Driver's License)
- Images of your face (when renting using Our U-Haul Truck Share 24/7® program)
- Records of personal property (if supplied for a storage contract or when filing a claim)
- Records of products/services purchased or obtained
Internet or other electronic network activity information
- IP Address
- Device / Browser Information
- Browsing history (see "Cookies and Similar Technologies" below)
- Log File Information such as web request, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
- Email or other electronic correspondence
- Your Location Information (with opt in for Roadside Assistance or U-Haul Truck Share 24/7®)
- Equipment Location Information
This website is not intended for children, nor is it targeted at children under the age of thirteen (13). We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to create an online account. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to Us. In the event that We learn that We have collected personal information from a child under age 13, We will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that We might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact Us.
How We Use Information
We collect information for fulfilling orders, providing services, and/or improving products and services. We may use or disclose the personal information We collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To reserve equipment and/or storage space, services, and/or products.
- To assist in the recovery of U-Haul Equipment and products that were stolen, lost, or otherwise not returned.
- To assist in the prevention of fraud and other illegal activities.
- To purchase and/or use certain products or services.
- To achieve compliance with any contract for the rental of equipment and/or storage space and/or the purchase of products and services.
- To otherwise fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To communicate with you, provide services or, serve you content and/or promotions, and send you notices.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve Our responses.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To support, personalize, and develop Our Websites, products, and services.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with Us.
- We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with Our server and to administer Our website. Your IP address and email address are used to help identify you and your shopping cart and to gather broad demographic information.
- To respond to your request for roadside assistance or other service to the U-Haul Equipment.
We engage certain trusted third parties to perform business functions and provide services to Us, including hosting and maintenance, error monitoring, debugging, performance monitoring, billing, customer relationship, database storage and management, and direct marketing campaigns. We may share your personal information with these third parties, including service providers and subsidiaries, but only to the extent necessary to perform these functions and provide such services. These third parties are prohibited from using information obtained in this manner for any purpose(s) other than to provide the services We have engaged them to perform. We also require these third parties to maintain the privacy and security of the personal information they process on Our behalf.
Examples of whom We may share information with include:
- U-Haul International, Inc. and its parent, affiliates and subsidiaries, including eMove, Inc. and U-Haul State Rental Companies and their affiliates and business partners, such as U-Haul Rental Dealers, U-Haul Self-Storage Affiliates, and Moving Helpers
- Vehicle repair and/or tow truck companies that may provide breakdown/road side assistance
- Payment card issuers, banks, credit reporting and fraud checking agencies, debt collection agencies, and insurance companies
- Transportation or driver licensing authorities, directly or through intermediary organizations
- Government or private organizations responsible for the processing or handling of transportation, tolls, traffic/moving or parking related violations
- Government, judicial, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorized by law
- We may store personal information in locations outside the direct control of Us (for instance, on servers or databases co-located with hosting providers)
Except as otherwise described in this privacy statement, We will not disclose Information to any third party unless required to do so by law or subpoena or if We believe that such action is necessary to:
- a) conform to the law, comply with legal process served on Us or Our subsidiaries or affiliates, or investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities;
- c) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Our company, employees, customers, or the public.
U-Haul Equipment Location Information
Your U-Haul Vehicle, Towable Equipment or U-Box Container(s) (hereinafter "U-Haul Equipment") may be equipped with a device which collects location data of the U-Haul Equipment ("Location Detection Device"). We will only access and use the Location Detection Device in the event:
- Your U-Haul Equipment is not returned at the time and location as stated on Your U-Haul Equipment Contract;
- If the Customer reports the U-Haul Equipment stolen to law enforcement or an entity within the U-Haul System;
- If the Customer agrees for the purposes of roadside assistance or other related services to the U-Haul Equipment;
- If requested by law enforcement or appropriate governmental agency; or
- If the Customer agrees for any other purpose.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A persistent cookie remains on your device after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the website. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser's directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You may reset your browser to clear cookies or choose to set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with this website, but know that some of the website's functionality may not function properly.
Our website uses on-premises and third-party web analytics services, such as Google Analytics, to help Us analyze how visitors use the website. To learn more about opting out of data collection through Google Analytics, click here.
Certain third parties may collect Personal Information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use Our website. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a "Do Not Track" signal to websites and online services you visit. Like many websites and online services, We do not alter Our practices when We receive a "Do Not Track" signal from a visitor's browser.
We use commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your Information and our systems. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Us and you do so at your own risk. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
To protect your privacy and security, We take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to your email communications from Us, at all times.
Choice and Access
How you can access or control your personal information will depend on which services you use. If you have created an online account, you can view or edit your information by accessing your account online. Otherwise, you may also contact Us with questions or complaints about Our use and/or disclosure of your information. A request that We not use or disclose your information may affect Our ability to provide you with Our products and/or services. Further, We reserve the right to retain data as required by applicable law; and for so long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the data is retained except to the extent prohibited by applicable law. You may also write to Our Privacy Officer at:Data Privacy & Security
2727 N. Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004
You choose whether you wish to receive promotional emails and SMS messages. To stop receiving promotional emails, send an email asking to be removed or click "Unsubscribe" in a promotional email you received.
To stop receiving SMS messages, text "STOP" to 84285. After you send the SMS message "STOP" to Us, We will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from Us. If you are experiencing issues with Our messaging service or if at any time you forget what keywords are supported, just text "HELP" to 84285. After you send the SMS message "HELP" to Us, We will respond with instructions on how to use Our service as well as how to unsubscribe. Message and data rates may apply.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California's "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services are entitled to request and obtain from Us once a calendar year information about the customer information We shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which We shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year.
To obtain this information, please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message or by sending a letter to:Data Privacy & Security
2727 N. Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Access to Specific Information, Data Portability Rights, and Deletion Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and similar privacy laws in other states and provinces, provide their residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your privacy rights and explains how to exercise those rights. You have the right to request that We disclose certain information to you about Our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once We receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, We will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information We collected about you
- The categories of sources for the personal information We collected about you
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information
You also have the right to request the deletion of Personal Information.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise your access and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to Us by either:
- Calling Us at 1-866-242-7780
- Emailing Us at email@example.com
Only you, or a person registered with the Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. The verifiable request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows Us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom We collected personal information or an authorized representative
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows Us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it
We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Links to Other websites
If you have any questions or concerns about Our privacy practices, you can contact online, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail at: If you have any questions or concerns about Our privacy practices, you can contact online or by mail at:Data Privacy & Security
2727 N. Central Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85004