A big part of moving is getting your belongings packed in moving boxes. But there's a right way to pack your moving boxes and a wrong way. Knowing the difference is key to keeping your items in good condition and staying organized during your move. It's also important to use boxes and other supplies that are designed to make moving easier. So before you casually toss your belongings in boxes, here’s how to effectively pack your moving boxes for your next move.
Gather your packing supplies
In addition to gathering your moving boxes, there are other packing supplies available that will make your job much easier while keeping your belongings in excellent condition.
Recommended packing supplies
- Packing Peanuts
- Cushion Foam
- Packing Paper
- Packing Tape
- Permanent Marker
- Moving Boxes
Assemble your moving boxes
If you purchased new boxes, they will need to be assembled. Start by unfolding your collapsed box until it’s in a cube shape. On the bottom, fold the small flaps into the center, then fold the larger flaps on top of those; apply a strip or two of packing tape where the flaps meet in the center to close the box.
How to pack boxes for moving
1. Group items of similar size and weight (try not to mix belongings from different rooms of your home).
2. Pour a layer of packing peanuts into the bottom of the box.
3. Wrap heaviest items first with bubble wrap or packing paper and place them in the bottom of the box.
4. Wrap lighter items with bubble wrap or packing paper and separate them from items in the bottom of the box with cushion foam.
5. Place heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on top.
6. Before closing your box, cushion the entire package. Stuff packing peanuts or crumpled packing paper firmly in unfilled spaces to prevent shifting or damage to your goods.
7. Your filled box should not weigh more than about 30 pounds, or more than what you can lift easily. Under packed boxes may collapse in transit, while over packed boxes can rupture, damaging belongings.
8. Close the box and seal it with sturdy packing tape.
9. Label the box with its contents and destination room.
Stack moving boxes to cube out your moving truck
In addition to packing your moving boxes correctly, we recommend being mindful of how you load your moving truck. There are several important things to remember when it comes to effectively packing a moving truck, including how you stack your moving boxes.
U-Haul makes hauling moving boxes simple and efficient by specifically designing boxes to stack and cube out a truck perfectly leaving no wasted space. Save time, space and money during your move and haul more, easier by using professional packing boxes.
How stacking works
If you were to stand your couch on its side inside your moving truck and remove the cushions, you will create an empty space about three feet wide by two feet deep by more than four feet high. A stack of moving boxes can easily fit in that space, allowing you to efficiently pack stacks of seven or more boxes. View the illustration below to get an idea of how you can stack boxes in compact spaces. This is just another way U-Haul is making packing easier™.