How to get the most out of your self-storage unit.
Preparation and smart packing are essential to keeping your stored possessions in good shape while helping you maximize space in your storage room. Whether you are shopping for self-storage or already have a room, these tips will help you make the most out of your storage unit.
- Have blankets, draperies, and out-of-season clothing clean and ready to be packed on a hanger or wardrobe box.
- Pack books flat, not standing on end (which may cause damage to the spines). Books are extremely heavy, so don't pack too many in one box.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawnmowers and other items with small engines.
- Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together.
- Don't overpack boxes. Overfilled boxes will rupture and topple when stacked.
- Heat-sensitive goods such as videotapes, albums, photographs, and wood furniture are best stored in a climate-controlled storage room.
- Clean and dry your appliances. Keep refrigerator doors slightly ajar and use the space inside for additional storage.
Fill your storage space
- If you're storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and disassemble to conserve storage space.
- Use shelving to take full advantage of the storage space.
- Store couches on end (except sofa beds).
- When packing your storage room, create a center aisle for access to all items.
- Store items you'll need most often at the front of the unit.