Damage Coverage Programs
U-Haul offers the most affordable coverage programs in the truck rental industry to relieve our customers of responsibility for damage to U-Haul equipment.
Safetow® – Trailer and Towing Rental Coverage
Safetow provides multiple levels of coverage that covers damage to your motor-vehicle on an auto transport, tow dolly or tow bar and goods or motor vehicles in the U-Haul trailer. Damage coverage is essential because credit cards and car insurance do not typically cover our rental equipment.
Purchasing protection is optional. Not only does it protect you in case the towing equipment is damaged. It also covers up to $20,000 of damages to your property that is being towed.
Safetow protection includes:
Collision Damage Waiver
- Frees you of responsibility for accidental collision damage to the rental auto transport, tow dolly, or rental trailer
- No deductible
- Subject to exclusions
Towed Property Coverage
- Covers damage to your towed motor vehicle and cargo while being towed with any U-Haul equipment
- Coverage limits available: $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000 of coverage
- Covers damage or loss that occurs to your cargo in a towed U-Haul trailer up to the amount of coverage purchased.
- Covers any towed car, truck, van, motorcycle, ATV, golf cart or lawnmower
- Primary coverage, that will pay regardless of other coverage you may have
- Coverage for non-operable, unlicensed or out-of-service vehicles
- Up to $500 coverage for personal contents in a towed vehicle that is damaged during an accident while being transported on the U-Haul auto transport or tow dolly
- $100 deductible per occurrence
- Subject to exclusions
- Provides you and your passengers with up to $500 of coverage towards medical bills, in case of an accident
- Provides you and your passenger with life coverage in the case of a fatality
- Lessee loss of life, up to $10,000 of coverage
- Passenger loss of life, up to $5,000 of coverage
- Subject to exclusions
All exclusions are explained in the Rental Contract and Document Holder.
Safetow is subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental contract addendum.
Safetow will not cover theft of your rented U-Haul equipment if, in fact, it is determined that neglect played a role in it's disappearance, and at no time will Safetow cover theft of your owned motor vehicle, accessories, or personal contents in the towed trailer or rented truck.
Mechanical damage, including damage to the transmission or drive train, is not covered unless it is the result of a collision. For a list of other exclusions, see the rental contract addendum and certificate provided with your rental contract. These programs may or may not be in excess of what your current insurer already provides. Please check with your insurer to see if your insurance will cover rental trucks and trailers.
The purchase of Safetow is not required in order to rent a U-Haul truck or trailer but many personal auto policies do not cover rental truck or trailer rentals.
Repwest Insurance Company is a United States insurance company incorporated under the laws of the State of Arizona and is licensed to sell insurance products in all states and the District of Columbia, excluding Hawaii and Canada. All products are not offered in all states. Please refer to the product pages for applicable states of coverage. The descriptions of Repwest Insurance Company's insurance products and services on this World Wide Web site are provided for your general information. The insurance products and services are subject to the terms and conditions of the policies issued. Please review your policy when received for complete information. Product availability varies by state. Repwest Insurance Company makes no representation that the content provided is applicable or appropriate for use in other locations.
Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental and storage rental contract. Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are not liability insurance and each is optional.
Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are subject to exclusions set forth in the U-Haul rental and storage rental contract. Safemove, Safestor and Safetow are not liability insurance and each is optional. Some portions of these protection packages are underwritten in the USA by Repwest Insurance Company, Phoenix, Arizona. In Canada, some portions are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Company. Customers owning real or personal property may have policies that provide similar coverage elements (check your policies). Any questions, call 1-800-528-0463, ext. 672045. File a claim online or call 1-800-528-7134 (USA), 1-800-661-1069 (Canada).
All of the protection packages cover loss of use of the rental equipment. Authorized drivers or permissive users are also covered as long as they are at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.