- Can I get my In-Town rental for more than 24hrs?
- The scheduling of equipment is based on available time frames ranging from 1 hour up to a 24-hour rental period. Some locations do, however, offer multiple day In-Town rentals on our trailer fleet. If you need to store your belongings for more than 24 hours and then move them, we recommend renting a U-Box.
- How can I save money on an In-Town truck rental?
Move in one trip (or as few as possible).
Most People pack differently when moving in-town. If you are estimating more time, or planning more trips back and forth because you are reserving a smaller moving truck, you should Super Move It® by upgrading to a larger truck.
A larger truck saves you time, mileage and fuel. This simply means money saved... your money.
- How are U-Haul truck rates determined?
In-Town move rates include a set amount for the rental period, plus a per mile charge.
One-way move rates are determined by a combination of truck size, point of origin, destination and the date of the move. The price includes an allowed mileage and a set number of days to complete your move.
Rental rates can change at anytime, so it is recommended that you confirm your reservation as soon as possible to lock in the rate. View moving truck rates.
- Why is U-Haul giving me more days in my one-way rental than I need?
- Safety is our number one concern. Our goal is to provide our one-way customers with ample time to complete their move safely. While there is no discount for unused days, you are encouraged to return your rental equipment as soon as you're finished with it. Doing so will eliminate any parking concerns and will also relieve you from being responsible for the equipment.
- Can I purchase additional days on my one-way move?
Yes. However, it's critical for you to plan this in advance with your pickup location so that your rental contract will be accurate and so that scheduling for other families at your destination can be adjusted. The prepaid fees for extra days are outlined below:
U-Haul trucks - $40 per day
U-Haul trailers - $20 per day
U-Haul towing devices - $20 per day
- Can I purchase additional miles on my one-way move?
- Yes. The fee is $0.40 per mile if you exceed the allowed mileage.
- Do I have to pay a deposit when renting a U-Haul truck?
The total estimated charges for your rental are due when you pick up your equipment. Payment can be made by credit card, debit card or cash.
No Deposit is required if paying by major credit card. If paying by cash, the following is due when you pick up your equipment.
- In-Town truck: $100 or estimated rental charges (whichever is greater).
- One-Way truck: $100 plus rental rate.
Cash is accepted for Pickup and Van rentals, however, a valid credit or debit card with a major credit card logo will also need to be presented in the name of the renter.
- My friend/relative is going to drive my U-Haul rental truck for me. Will I be responsible if they get into an accident?
The person who signs the U-Haul contract is fully responsible for the U-Haul equipment. Be sure to ask about our Safemove® and Safetow® coverage packages for protection and peace of mind.
Why not let us do the driving? Rent a U-Box moving container.
- How many people can ride in your trucks and are car seats safe?
Our larger truck sizes will seat 3 passengers. This includes our pickup truck, 15',17',20' and 26' trucks. U-Haul 10’ box trucks and cargo vans have 2 seats and hold a driver and a passenger. Most of our trucks are equipped with air bags and may not satisfy local requirements for car seats. Young children and those in car seats should not be seated in front seats of U-Haul equipment.Most people, in need of a car seat for infants/toddlers while moving, prefer to drive an additional vehicle for their family members in addition to renting a U-Haul truck. If this is not an option for your family, we recommend moving your belongings using U-Box® moving containers.
- What type of gas is used for your trucks and approximately how many miles per gallon should I expect?
- Visit our equipment details page and then select a truck to get the specifics on each size. Details will include dimensions, miles per gallon, etc.
- Can I take a U-Haul truck across the U.S./Canadian border?
Yes, you are permitted to cross the U.S./Canadian border during a move. You will be subject to any laws and regulations governing the border. For the latest information call one of the numbers below.
Canada Border Services Agency
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- How much gas needs to be in the tank when I return a truck?
We simply ask that you return the truck with the same amount of gas that it had when you picked it up.
- Does U-Haul offer discounted rates for additional days and extended mileage?
Yes, we do have special rates for customers who can pick up and return at the same location and need multiple days or weeks and/or need to cover hundreds of miles.
For the best rate, head to uhaul.com/trucks/ and fill in the green form. Give us your pickup location and move date as normal, and on the next page you will see a link for “extended days/miles special rates” on our cargo vans and 8' trucks. All you need to do is specify your estimated mileage and how long you’ll need the rental, and our system will return the best available rates.