The Hardie-Tynes Company was headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama from 1895 to 2016. The company was established in 1895 by William Hardie and William Tynes. Originally named the Engine Works, a subsidiary of the Birmingham Iron Works, the company focused on manufacturing and engineering large-scale industrial parts. The original manufacturing plant was located on the 2500-2700 blocks of 1st Avenue North. When a fire destroyed the original plant in 1901, the company relocated and rebuilt on the 800 28th Street location. They officially resumed operations in 1903 and changed their name to the Hardie-Tynes Company. Hardie-Tynes was known for their foundry and machine shop operations manufacturing water control systems, mining equipment, steam turbines, pressure vessels, bridge sections, and industrial and defense equipment. When the property was rebuilt in 1902, the site contained a foundry building, machine shop building, office, pattern storage building, engine shop, blacksmith, storage building (later used as a carpenter shop), oil house, a dwelling and three railroad spurs. Another pattern storage building, shed, and two small structures were added by 1911, while two small outbuildings were removed. By 1951, additional buildings were constructed, additions were built, and the subject property resembled its current configuration.
Hardie-Tynes was a large producer of ship engines and propeller screws during World War I. Post-war they shifted operations to creating equipment for utility companies in the region and for the U.S. Navy. The facility was redesigned for a third time, after a second fire broke out in 1924. Heavy steel columns and girders were used during the rebuild and a sprinkler system was established. The water tower, which supplied the sprinkler system, became a landmark for the Hardie-Tynes manufacturing plant. The company continued to adapt throughout the decades, manufacturing for many industries. In 1997, the DeBardeleben family purchased Hardie-Tynes and operated the company until it closed operations in 2016.
U-Haul acquired the historic property in 2017 after Hardie-Tynes operations ceased. The site is now preserved for future generations and is known as U-Haul Moving & Storage at Uptown. Adaptive reuse building conversions allow U-Haul to promote infill development to meet citizens’ needs while preserving the natural resources and land normally required for new construction. Adaptive reuse also allows resources to be focused on integrating environmentally thoughtful features into the existing building rather than creating waste in the form of demolition and using valuable resources for new construction.
Serving U-Haul customers since 2017, this facility was built through adaptive reuse of an abandoned building. Adaptive reuse promotes infill development in an effort to strengthen communities, with the following benefits achieved at this site:
- 1,819 tons of metal manufacturing & transportation prevented
- 5,537.5 tons of new concrete pours avoided
- 7,391.5 tons of construction and demolition debris prevented
Energy-efficiency and waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for the Birmingham community:
- 9,523,523 lbs greenhouse gas emissions prevented
1,819 tons (1,651 tonnes) of steel manufacturing and delivery saved to date
0 kWh annual energy savings
5,538 tons (5,025 tonnes) of new concrete pours avoided to date
9,523,523 lbs (4,319,842 kgs) of greenhouse gas emissions prevented
7,392 lbs (6,707 kgs) of construction debris prevented