U-Haul Moving Tips
Move on a weekday when banks, utilities and government offices are open. U-Haul locations also offer a lower per mile rate on weekdays.
If you're moving locally, leave the power and water on at your old address a few extra days so you can go back and clean up after your move.
- Purchase boxes and moving supplies 2-4 weeks before your move.
- Choose a 'packing room' ahead of time and box up a few things each day.
Use moving labels to mark each box with its contents and destination room.
- To save time, rent a carpet cleaner at the same time you rent your truck.
- If moving locally, leave your pets with a friend on moving day. Animals can become confused and frightened during a move.
- Allow for extra braking room when driving a moving truck. Anticipate stops and allow a 3-second gap between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- U-Haul moving trucks require up to 12 feet of overhead clearance. Watch out for drive-thru restaurant and motel over-hangs.
Latest Moving Tip Articles