Hundreds of thousands of families move into a new place every year, many of which ask friends and family to help rather than hiring moving help. This post is a compilation of eight of the most common types of moving help that just may be helping you move into your new place.
1. The Delegator – This is the person who is usually barking orders at the moving help and delegating what should go where, who should carry what and which belonging needs to be moved or packed first. Generally speaking, this is the person who probably does the smallest amount of real work or at least the avoids the heavy lifting.
2. The Muscle – Usually a male but not always, this person does most of the heavy lifting. The majority of the time, the muscle is not always the smartest person, but serves a greater purpose when moving belongings into a rental truck. It is good to have more than just one person who can lift heavy weight; having Moving Help Providers will generally help the move go faster.
3. The Brains – Not to be confused with the Delegator, the brains of the operation usually has everything thought out ahead of time. Chances are this person did the majority of packing the moving boxes ahead of time as well as probably the one who compared moving truck rental prices for the best deal. It is always a good idea to have a smart person helping you with your move, things just seem to flow better.
4. The Packer – This is the person who packs boxes on the go. If you have a lot of belongings, chances are you couldn’t fit everything into moving boxes – or else you haven’t gotten all your stuff into the boxes. The Packer is the ‘on the fly box packer’. Now, this person may not be the best or first choices to help pack your belongings, but hey- it’s freeing you up, and your stuff will still make it from point A to point B.
5. The Lazy One – Every move has one of them, the Lazy One. We all know that moving is difficult and that truck rentals usually have an hourly/daily time limit to use – so why would someone be lazy? Because some people just are. While the Muscle is lifting heavy boxes, the Lazy One always has an excuse for getting out of carrying boxes. You will probably find them in an empty back room of the house taking a nap to get out of helping with the move.
6. The Complainer – The Complainer runs parallel with the Lazy One, every move has one. The Complainer finds anything and everything to nitpick at, even if it has nothing to do with the move. It could be something as simple as not having their right type of water to keep the moving help hydrated; it doesn’t matter what it is or how big or small, they will find something to complain about.
7. The Injury Prone – The Injury Prone is usually a good helper, but always seems to get hurt in one way or another. If you make it through a move without damaging your belongings or yourself, then you did a good job. The truth is, many people get injured in one way or another when moving. It could be as simple as a minor scratch on your finger or as major as lifting too heavy of a box and seriously injuring your back. Make sure you take all safety precautions when moving to avoid injury.
8. The Hired Help – Yes, there are companies out there that you can hire to help you move. A popular moving help choice is MovingHelp.com because individuals can choose the Moving Help Providers they want to hire based on price, location and past customer’s ratings. Depending on the size of your move, you may want to hire Moving Help Providers for a few hours.
Other popular types of movers include: the Cook, the Short Attention Span, the Smelly One and last but not least, the Needy Child. These are just some of the most common types of DIY movers.
What are the types of moving help in your group? Let us know about your moves below in the comment section!