Moving day may be as American as apple pie. The average American will move 11 times in their lifetime. But, if moving is an American habit then so too is procrastinating on moving day preparations. Ideally, you’ll give yourself at least eight weeks to prepare for a move. Those eight weeks give you the time to break down all of your moving tasks, including switch over utilities, purging items you’re not taking, and of course packing. Sometimes though, you have to move with less than the ideal preparation time. Even if you’re completing a short notice move, there are plenty of steps you can take to ensure it’s successful and as stress-free as possible. Start getting organized straight away with these eight things to do when your move is two weeks away:
1. Reserve a Moving Truck and Moving Help. Price out moving truck rentals online or make some phone calls to get quotes. Reserve the truck that makes the most sense for you. If you’re hiring moving helpers, then make those reservations at the same time. Reconfirm any reservations you’ve already made one week before moving day.
2. Make a List of Needed Packing Materials. Make a checklist of the packing materials you will need such as boxes, tape, tie-down straps, stretch wrap, furniture pad, etc. Start gathering those materials or designate a person to get them.
3. Dispose of Items that Cannot be Moved. Purge! Donate, sell, or toss items that you cannot or do not want to move.
4. Make Day of Arrangements. Figure out who will be in charge of any children or pets on the day of the move.
5. Pack a Last Night/First Night Bag. Pack a bag for your last night in your old place that also includes all the items you need for your first night in your new home.
6. Plan Your Meals: Do an inventory of the food you have left and plan out meals to use up those ingredients and also figure out if you will be ordering take-out at all during the last two weeks at home.
7. Have Your Cars Serviced. If you are moving a long distance, take your automobiles to your mechanic and have them serviced. Ask if there are any pressing repairs to do before your move and ask if they have any mechanic recommendations in your soon-to-be hometown.
8. Separate Valuables. Divide your valuables from the rest of the items you need to pack, take an inventory and then pack them separately.
Do you have any tips to make a short notice move a breeze? Let us know in the comments section below.
This post comes from the relocation specialists at In Order to Succeed, a professional organizing firm providing moving relocation coordination assistance and home and business organizing services.