There are a lot of details to consider when moving to a new state. Don’t fret! Use this guide to make sure you plan and execute your move efficiently.
Once you have made the decision that you are ready to move, begin preparing. If you wait you will be stressed and will very likely not have time to complete everything in time. There is plenty you can do now to make the move less stressful.
- Calculate what moving supplies are recommended for your move.
- Start going through your closets, drawers, garage, and attic to decide what items you want to keep and which to get rid of.
- Start packing all items you will not need in the next couple months.
- Gather quotes for the one-way equipment rentals and movers.
- Sell or donate any items you do not want to keep.
What you Need to Know About One-Way Moving Truck Rentals with Truck Share 24/7®
As you begin planning for your move to a new state, keep in mind that one-way equipment rentals have differences from local moves. Here is what you need to know to rent or get the best quote:
- The cost of a one-way moving truck will include the estimated miles and cost per day based on the size of the truck.
- If you do not return the truck on the date in the contract you will be charged for each additional day used.
- If you go over the estimated miles there will be a small fee since it is a flat fee and not based on mileage like in a local rental.
- Purchase the damage coverage whenever you rent equipment, but definitely when you are driving in new areas where you are not familiar with the terrain and roads.
Packing for a Move to a New State
Pack based on your needs. If you are moving without your new home picked out yet and therefore may need to put your belongings in a self-storage for a time while you get settled. Here are tips to help you keep all the pieces together.
- Keep boxes that you will need first together and mark them as Open First.
- Try to pack the open first boxes in the car or keep them in a place you can gather them first.
- Be detailed with what exactly is in the box. You may not see these belongings for a while.
- Pack like items in boxes even if you leave space in the box. This will keep your sanity when you unpack.
- Use specialty boxes like the Flat Panel TV Box Moving Kit for fragile and expensive items to keep safe.
Moving to a new state is exciting and refreshing. Think of the new adventures and experiences you will have once you move. Although the process can be overwhelming, take it one step at a time and tackle everything with ease.
Additional resource: Moving Supply Calculator