People come to U-Haul centers every day to rent trailers for their moves but for most, it is not every day they use a trailer. What may be common sense to some is not to others. As a result, it is our responsibility to spread road-safety awareness throughout our communities. To do this, U-Haul participates in the “touch-a-truck” community events held all across North America. Brush up your trailer safety knowledge by attending or hosting a local event and see how fun it can be!
What To Expect
At any Touch-A-Truck event, families are able to sit behind the wheel of a U-Haul truck to gain insight on how easy they are to use. For your convenience, there will be a U-Haul Team member who will be able to answer any questions and to share their daily experiences working with the vehicles. Additionally, the Marco Garcia Trailer Demonstrator (MGTD) will be set up for all ages to interact and engage with to learn about loading a trailer correctly and what the effects of a load can do to your driving.
What Are People Saying
Michelle Miller-Dixon and Adam Hermann from UHC of Long Island held an event that had held a variety of vehicles for children to get a driver-seat view of including police cars and construction trucks.
“We had a great time! The children enjoyed exploring the AFM rigs we brought to the event. We even had a line of children waiting to get behind the wheel.”– Miller-Dixon
“I really enjoyed it. It was great to get out into the community, to talk to residents and spread the message of safety”-Hermann
Also, Mark Lee with UHC of North Orlando, held an event at Maitland (Fla.) Community Preschool with the MGTD, a 20’ truck, a utility trailer, a display table with brochures and foldable U-Haul truck coin banks.
“One of the most impressive things to me is the fact that our display was received so well. Even next to garbage trucks and fire trucks, we always had people at our booth. Kids loved getting in the back of the truck, looking around and taking photos”– Lee
In addition, Heather Daugherty and Joe Krueger with UHC of Southwestern Arizona participated in an event at Eduprize School in Queen Creek.
“The one thing that struck me about this event is how many adults were invested in it, despite it being geared toward kids. This allowed us to invite adults to test out the MGTD and pass along information to them about important topics like safe trailering”-Krueger
- The Woodlands Touch-a-Truck Sat 2/22/2020 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM The Recreation Center at Rob Fleming Park, TX
- MODSEA Safe Trailering Event Wed 2/26/2020 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM 1590 Woodlake Dr, Chesterfield, MO
- Michigan Traffic Safety Summit Tue 3/10/2020 to Wed 3/11/2020 Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center, MI
- Lifesavers 2020 Sun 3/15/2020 to Tue 3/17/2020 Tampa Convention Center, FL
- Operation Drivers Excellence Sat 3/28/2020 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM Aloha Stadium, HI
- Maitland Community Preschool Touch-A-Truck Sat 3/28/2020 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM Orangewood Presbyterian Church, FL
- MPACT’D Safe Driving Event Fri 4/3/2020 8:00 AM – 11:30 AM Gillespie High School, IL
- Junior League of Hampton Roads Touch-a-Truck Sat 4/4/2020 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM Peninsula Town Center, VA
- Eduprize Touch-a-Truck Sat 4/4/2020 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM Eduprize School, AZ