Adaptive Reuse in Plano, TX at U-Haul Moving & Storage of Plano
Established in 1917 by Henry Leland and his son Wilfred, the Lincoln Motor Company was designed to directly compete with the Cadillac automobile brand. The Leland's were also instrumental in the foundation of the Cadillac brand which was derived from the Henry Ford Company. Henry Ford left his successful venture as chief engineer of the Ford Motor Company, after disagreements with the company's investors. The investors then hired Henry Leland as an enginner advisor to help appraise equipment and liquidate the companies assets. Instead of appraising, Leland had other aspirations and convinced the company to invest in his single cylinder engine design and reestablish Ford Motor Co. as the Cadillac Automobile Company. In 1909, Cadillac was sold to General Motors Corporation, and Leland resigned in 1917 after a strong dispute with then president of GM, William Durant.
After the experience of working to develop the Cadillac, the Lelands would go on to establish the Lincoln Motor Company, named after president Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln sourced parts from Ford, Cadillac, Marmon, Packard and Buick to develop the Lincoln Model L which had a luxury feel and a V8 engine. Lincoln faced production problems as they neared bankruptcy in 1922 and that same year Ford Motor Company acquired Lincoln for $8 million. General Motors had proven the value of acquiring a standalone luxury brand such as Cadillac and soon Ford followed suit, deciding to make the investment through Lincoln automobiles. Since the Leland's played a role in replacing Henry Ford at the Henry Ford Company, the stigma endured and both men were removed from the Lincoln division and replaced with Henry Ford's son, Edsel Ford.
In the 1930’s Lincoln made great strides in developing a line with V-12 engines and culminated this success with the release of the Lincoln-Zephyr in 1936. The Zephyr boosted sales by 900% from the year before. Lincoln continued production until World War II, until they were required to concentrate on wartime manufacturing. After the war, Ford restructured Lincoln into Lincoln-Mercury, and both companies were paired until 2010 when Mercury closed. Lincoln continued to expand their brand with popular models such as the the Capri, Premiere, Continental, Versailles, Town Car, Navigator, Aviator and MKS.
Lincoln has followed a model of relative success that endures today. The company adjusted the midsized line of sedans and other vehicles and distributes to Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The brand coninues to be one of the most popular luxury car brands in the United States.
The Lincoln Mercury Dealership building was built in 1985 and U-Haul acquired the property in 1994. Adaptive reuse building conversions allow U-Haul to promote infill development to meet citizens’ needs while preserving the natural resources and land normally required for new construction. Adaptive reuse also allows resources to be focused on integrating environmentally thoughtful features into the existing building rather than creating waste in the form of demolition and using valuable resources for new construction.
Serving U-Haul customers since 1994, this facility was built through adaptive reuse of an abandoned building. Adaptive reuse promotes infill development in an effort to strengthen communities, with the following benefits achieved at this site:
- 138 tons of metal manufacturing & transportation prevented
- 1,530 tons of new concrete pours avoided
- 1,668 tons of construction and demolition debris prevented
Energy-efficiency and waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for the Plano community:
- 44,059 kWh annual energy savings
- 1,194,426 lbs greenhouse gas emissions prevented
Steel Production 138 tons (125 tonnes) of steel manufacturing and delivery saved to date
Energy 44,059 kWh annual energy savings
Concrete 1,530 tons (1,388 tonnes) of new concrete pours avoided to date
Emissions 1,194,426 lbs (541,788 kgs) of greenhouse gas emissions prevented
Landfill Debris 1,668 lbs (1,514 kgs) of construction debris prevented