Adaptive Reuse in Toledo, OH at U-Haul Moving & Storage at Swayne Field
Founded in 1887 by John W. Pinkerton, the Pinkerton Tobacco Company had a goal to make the best tasting scrap tobacco on the market. After buying the controlling shares in Worstall Cigar and Tobacco Company, John W. Pinkerton created the formula for Red Man chewing tobacco, currently one of the best-selling chewing tobaccos in the world. Pinkerton eventually sold stock in his company to seven investors in order to continue to grow the business. Unfortunately, major disputes arised with the investors, leading Pinkerton to sell the majority of his of stock to the Duke Trust, a large competitor. This stock exchange meant that Pinkerton Tobacco Company would join The American Tobacco Company. In 1911, the Supreme Court ordered the split of the Duke Trust due to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and Pinkerton Tobacco Company finally transferred ownership to Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company.
Thusands of businesses struggled during the Great Depression and among them Pinkerton Tobacco Company. Despite the hard times, Pinkerton Tobacco Co. managed to not lay off a single employee. The company also felt immense pressure during WW2 and had to make adjustments to their classic chew recipe as a result of sugar rations. This recipe would be utilized between 1942 and 1950, using natural sugars extracted from fruits. Pinkerton became the first manufacturer to pack its brands in resealable foil pouches in 1967, giving them a marketable advantage over the competition.
Pinkerton produced their tobacco products in Toledo for nearly 70 years. In the 1970’s they opened a new plant in Owensboro, Kentucky ultimately moving their headquarters to Richmond, Virginia in 1986. Pinkerton launched a moist snuff in the 1990’s, consistently expanding their multitude of brands while increasing their volume. The Pinkerton brand is still popular among tobacco product consumers and they maintain production from their Owensboro, Kentucky facility.
The Pinkerton Tobacco Company building was built in 1880 and U-Haul acquired the building in 2015. Adaptive reuse building conversions allow U-Haul to promote infill development to meet citizens’ needs while preserving the natural resources and land normally required for new construction. Adaptive reuse also allows resources to be focused on integrating environmentally thoughtful features into the existing building rather than creating waste in the form of demolition and using valuable resources for new construction.
Serving U-Haul customers since 2015, this facility was built through adaptive reuse of an abandoned building. Adaptive Reuse promotes infill development in an effort to strengthen communities, with the following benefits achieved at this site:
- 8,715 tons of new concrete pours avoided
- 9,436 tons of construction and demolition debris prevented
Waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for this Toledo community:
- 4,081,918 lbs greenhouse gas emissions prevented
Steel Production 0 tons (0 tonnes) of steel manufacturing and delivery saved to date
Energy 0 kWh annual energy savings
Concrete 8,715 tons (7,908 tonnes) of new concrete pours avoided to date
Emissions 4,081,918 lbs (1,851,546 kgs) of greenhouse gas emissions prevented
Landfill Debris 9,436 lbs (8,563 kgs) of construction debris prevented