Adaptive Reuse in Helena, MT at U-Haul Moving & Storage of Helena

Building History

The A-A Garage was co-founded by Otto Krieg in 1928, offering automobile repair, storage and wrecker service for the growing town of Helena. When the earthquakes of 1935 destroyed the nearby City Hall, police and fire operations were housed in the A-A garage for the next three and a half years. From 1935 to 1939, the 1886 alarm bell from the original fire tower was displayed in front of the A-A Garage while the original tower was undergoing repairs from the earthquake damage. The 990 East Lyndale Avenue building was built in 1958.  After closing its doors about 20 years laterU-Haul acquired the property in 1979 for adaptive reuse. Adaptive reuse building conversions allow U-Haul to promote infill development to meet citizens’ needs while preserving the natural resources and land normally required for new construction. 

Environmental Impact

Serving U-Haul customers since 1979, this facility was built through adaptive reuse of an abandoned building. Adaptive Reuse promotes infill development in an effort to strengthen communities, with the following benefits achieved at this site:

  • 98 tons of metal manufacturing & transportation prevented
  • 598 tons of new concrete pours avoided
  • 702 tons of construction and demolition debris prevented

Energy-efficiency and waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for the Helena community:

  • 634,290 lbs greenhouse gas emissions prevented
  • Steel Use

    Steel Production 98 tons (89 tonnes) of steel manufacturing and delivery saved to date

  • Energy Use

    Energy 0 kWh annual energy savings

  • Concrete Use

    Concrete 598 tons (543 tonnes) of new concrete pours avoided to date

  • CO2 Emissions

    Emissions 634,290 lbs (287,712 kgs) of greenhouse gas emissions prevented

  • Landfill Debris

    Landfill Debris 702 lbs (637 kgs) of construction debris prevented

Related Links

Photo Gallery

Back
To Top