Whether you’re packing for moving, shipping, or storage, choosing the right cardboard boxes for the job is a key part of the process. U-Haul Heavy-Duty Boxes offer all the same benefits as standard moving boxes, but in a more durable and versatile package.
The added durability comes from the double corrugated cardboard design, also known as double-wall construction. This specially designed cardboard makes these boxes ideal for moving, storing, and packing fragile items that need extra protection, and heavy, bulky items that require a sturdier box. Double wall boxes also feature puncture-resistant side walls, making them the recommended choice for shipping.
What are Double-Wall Corrugated Boxes?
Double-wall corrugated boxes are cardboard boxes with two corrugated cardboard layers instead of one. This gives each box twice as much protection from environmental contaminants like moisture, dirt and dust that may threaten your items while they’re packed away.
To get an idea of how this works, imagine the walls in your home, but with twice the insulation and structure. Or, think of how double-pane windows prevent outdoor temperatures and UV rays from entering your home, or how well heavy-duty coolers keep food and drinks cool during the summer. An extra layer can go a long way toward protection and insulation.
How Strong is Double Corrugated Cardboard?
The short answer: much stronger than standard, or single-wall cardboard. For example, the Large Heavy-Duty Box can carry up to 80 pounds, while the standard Large Moving Box holds up to 65 pounds. The heavy-duty box also has a 48 edge crush test (ECT), which refers to stacking strength. For comparison, the standard box has a 32 ECT.
Types of Heavy-Duty Doxes
U-Haul heavy-duty boxes are available in four sizes (like the standard boxes) to provide a versatile selection and maximum flexibility when it comes to packing, shipping and storing your belongings.
- Small: 16-3/8" x 12-5/8" x 12-5/8" (W x L x H), 1.5 cu. ft.
- Medium: 18 1/8” x 18” x 16” (W x L x H), 3 cu. ft.
- Large: 18" x 18" x 24" (W x L x H), 4.5 cu. ft.
- Extra-Large: 24" x 18" x 24" (W x L x H), 6 cu. ft.
All U-Haul heavy duty boxes meet the UPS, USPS and FedEx shipping requirements, are 100% recyclable and reusable and feature perforated handles for easier carrying and loading.
How to Use Heavy-Duty Boxes
There are many ways to take advantage of the benefits U-Haul heavy-duty boxes provide. Here are some common uses and ways they can help make your move easier.
- Carrying multiple items: A sturdier box allows you to fit more items in each box. This reduces the number of boxes required to complete your move, saving you money and space.
- Packing fragile items: By combining heavy-duty boxes with packing supplies like Packing Paper, Cushion Foam and Packing Peanuts, you can safely pack your most fragile household items.
- Hauling heavy items: Using heavy-duty boxes to move your bulky items minimizes the chances of your boxes collapsing, tearing, or splitting at the bottom and causing damage to your items.
- Storing valuable items: Heavy-duty boxes are the best boxes for long-term storage of valuable items, including small appliances, electronics, kitchenware, book and vinyl collections, and more.
- Shipping: Given the strengh of double corrugated cardboard vs. single, we recommend using double wall boxes for shipping to give yourself better protection against side wall punctures and other damage.
Where to Buy Heavy Duty Boxes
You can find heavy duty boxes at most U-Haul locations. If you're local U-Haul doesn't carry heavy duty boxes yet, you can order them online. When you order online, you can choose from Same Delivery and FREE in-store pickup to ensure you get the moving supplies you need, when you need them.
Packing Made EasierSM
Ready to see why U-Haul is the best place to get boxes for moving? Easily order moving boxes, including double wall boxes and other essential moving supplies, online today! Get your moving boxes delivered Same Day or pick up in store for FREE on your schedule.