So you’ve decided to purchase a new car. Have you considered a propane autogas vehicle? Propane is the number one alternative fuel and the world’s third most common transportation fuel, behind gasoline and diesel. According to the Propane Education & Research Council, in 2017, more than 13,000 propane autogas vehicles were sold. Propane autogas provides many sustainable options that are not only beneficial to you, but to the environment as well. Here are a few reasons a propane autogas vehicle should be your next purchase!
1. Low Total Cost of Ownership
Who doesn’t love to save money? A benefit of propane autogas is its effect on the total cost of ownership for the vehicle. A technique that has proven to identify unexpected expenses is the “3 F’s Analysis”: fuel, fluids, and filters.
- Autogas vehicles require less maintenance than gasoline or diesel-fueled vehicles because of its simplified engine. Since there isn’t a need for additional parts and fluid, this eliminates unexpected repairs and downtime.
- Propane autogas also performs better in colder climates because it doesn’t need fuel conditioners to keep filters from freezing and clogging. This makes fuel more affordable to operate with no hidden costs for filters and fluids.
2. Environmental Benefits
By purchasing a propane autogas vehicle, you will be doing your part in helping the environment.
- Autogas is non-toxic which means it will not contaminate soil, water, or air.
- It burns cleaner than gasoline and has less harmful exhaust emissions.
- According to propaneautogasllc.com, on average, vehicles fueled by propane autogas emit 25 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions than vehicles that run on gasoline.
- It cuts smog-producing hydrocarbons by 70 percent.
- Because propane is released as a gas, it does not spill or leave a residue, making this better for your engine and for the air we breathe.
3. Lower Fuel Costs
Purchasing a propane autogas vehicle can help you save money on fuel cost substantially. On average, autogas costs less per gallon than gasoline. Why is that you ask? Well, propane supply and use are fairly predictable and consistent, so rarely will the price fluctuate like gasoline and diesel. A propane motor also lasts up to three times longer than a gas motor. Propane motors don’t experience power loss compared to a gas one. This makes autogas a popular choice for high mileage vehicles.
4. Convenient U-Haul Refill Stations
It is a common misconception that finding an alternative fuel refill station is a difficult task. However, there probably is a refill station just around the corner from your house. In fact, U-Haul is North America’s largest propane refilling network. Out of 3,300 public refueling stations in North America, U-Haul has over 1/3 of them. Whether you are looking to refill your vehicle or plan a trip, you can go to the U-Haul propane page and enter your address or trip destination to find your nearest station.
If you’re looking for a change, then a propane autogas vehicle is the way to go. Even if you don’t have a propane-fueled vehicle, you can always convert your vehicle from gasoline to autogas. Converting your vehicle to run on propane is far less expensive than any other fuel conversion costs or even purchasing a hybrid vehicle. Propane autogas growth is just around the corner, and you don’t want to miss out!
For more information and tips on propane, follow us on Twitter and Facebook.