Flat screen TVs are some of the most fragile and uniquely shaped items in a household. They can also be expensive depending on the size and model. That's why figuring how to pack and how to move a TV can be a challenging, yet important task. Unlike many other household items, you can’t fit a TV in a standard moving box and toss it in the moving truck without a second thought. Instead, it’s recommended you use the right packing supplies and techniques to pack a TV for moving correctly.
If you’re wondering how to pack a TV for moving so that your TV arrives at your new home in one piece, review the recommended packing supplies and use this packing guide to get your TV packed and ready for your next move.
Supplies Needed to Pack a TV
The U-Haul Flat Panel TV Kit provides optimal protection so you can rest assured your TV is safe while it rests in the back of your moving truck, cargo van or trailer. Each kit comes with four foam cushions and can be adjusted to accommodate TVs between 32” and 70”. Use the Flat Panel TV Kit to prevent your TV from shifting while it’s in the box and keep the screen free from scratches and cracks.
Additional Recommended Packing Supplies (not included):
How to Pack a TV for Moving Using the Flat Panel TV Kit
1. Prepare the TV for Packing
- Before you begin disassembling your entertainment set up, consider taking photos of how everything is connected. That way, you can reference your photos when you’re setting everything back up at your new home if needed.
- Unplug all the cords from the back of the TV. Locate the power cord and roll it up in a neat coil. Place the power cord and the remote(s) in a clear plastic bag or small container. Set it aside in a safe place to use later.
- If your TV is on a stand or legs, you will need to remove it. Most stands/legs can be removed with a screwdriver. Safely lay the TV down, screen-side down on a towel or blanket on a flat surface, and carefully remove the stand/legs.
- Place the screws in the same bag or container as the power cord and remote – you can pack it in a separate moving box or, if you’re using a bag, tape it to the outside of the box to keep everything together.
2. Cover and Protect the Screen
- If you are using the Flat Screen TV Cover, start by placing that on your TV. The cover easily slips on and off TVs up to 65” and provides your TV with additional protection from scratches, dust and debris during your move.
- Use the foam pieces to protect the TV and prevent it from shifting while it’s inside the box. There are four foam pieces included in your Flat Screen TV Kit – one for each corner of the TV. Break the pieces apart and adjust the sizing as needed.
- With the TV standing upright, place two foam pieces on the top two corners first. Use Mover’s Wrap to tightly wrap around the foam pieces and secure them in place. Repeat this step on the bottom two corners.
- For additional protection, use a Furniture Pad to cover the TV after the Mover’s Wrap is in place.
3. Pack Your TV for moving
- Be sure your TV is standing upright. You may need an extra pair of hands to pack your TV. Slide your TV into the inner section of the box first. Then slide the second, outer section of the box over the exposed end of the TV.
- In most cases, you'll need to telescope the inner and outer sections of the box to fit larger televisions. This telescoping feature allows you to fit TVs that range in size from 32’’ to 70’’.
- Use Furniture Pads (or towels or sheets) to fill any empty spaces you see in between the top of the box and the TV. This will keep the TV securely in place and prevent it from shifting too much during your move.
- Use Box Tape to securely connect the outer and inner sections of the box.
4. Move Your TV safely
- When you load the box into a moving truck, be sure to keep it upright at all times. This is the best way to move a flat screen TV, as it will prevent vibrations and bumps in the road from potentially damaging the screen.
- We recommend storing your TV Kit in between two flat, sturdy objects, like next to your mattress or dresser while it’s in the moving truck, cargo van or trailer. This will help ensure your TV doesn’t fall over while you drive to your new home. It also keeps movement to minimum.
- If you don't have two heavy objects available to help secure your TV, use tie-down rope to secure the box to the rub-rails located inside the back of your moving truck or against the wall of your U-Box Container.
- Now that your TV is packed and stowed away correctly, you and your TV are ready to move from point A to point B, safe and sound.
5. Unpack Your TV Gently
- Be sure your TV is unloaded from your truck and moved into your new home in an upright position at all times. Lean it against a wall until you’re ready to un-box.
- Use scissors or a box cutter to safely remove the tape from the box. Gently pull the outer section of the TV box away from the inner section after the tape is cut.
- If needed, use an extra pair of hands to gently pull the TV from the inner box after it’s opened.
(Note: If you haven’t assembled your Flat Panel TV Kit, refer to this step-by-step guide to get started. If you’re using the Medium TV Kit, refer to the video below for packing and moving instructions.)
How to Pack a Medium Flat Screen TV for Moving
The Medium-Sized Flat Screen TV Kit is designed for TVs and computer monitors up to 40”. Like the Flat Panel TV Kit, this TV moving box provides optimal protection for smaller-sized flat screen TVs or even computer monitors. Assembling the medium-sized kit involves the same steps as the Flat Panel Kit shown above. Follow the steps shown above to properly pack and move your medium-sized screen.
How the Flat Panel TV Kit protects your TV
- Made specifically to move flat screen TVs between 32”-70" (measured horizontally) that are 1”-4” deep
- Helps to keep your TV upright and eliminate any pressure on the screen
- Fits snugly to your TV to hold it in place within the box with four foam pieces to provide protection around the corners of the TV
- Features handles allowing you to carry and hold the box easier than with a regular box
- Features heavy-duty and double walled telescoping boxes to withstand any damage that may occur during transport
Packing Made Easier
Ready to pack your flat screen TV for moving and get your move underway? Find both Flat Panel TV Kits as well as a variety of other specialty moving boxes for sale and other moving supplies today. For added convenience, order your moving boxes and have them delivered right to your door step.
More Articles About Packing: