Follow along with the video below to learn how to hook up a braked trailer to your vehicle of choice or a U-Haul rental truck.
9 Steps to Hook Up a Braked Trailer
- Make sure the ball is completely enclosed by the coupler
- Push up underneath on the ball clamp to engage the spring, while holding the leveler down with your thumb
- Tighten the handwheel as far as possible and then push back on the trailer and tighten some more
- Cross the safety chains underneath the tongue attaching to the opposite loop or hitch structure
- Loop through the attachment point and connect the S hook through one of the links
- Secure the rubber strap over the S hook
- Loop the brake chain through the attachment point, closest to center
- If necessary, twist to take up most of the slack, making it the shortest chain
- Connect the lights and check, running, turn signals, and brakes
U-Haul Rental Trailer Locations
Now that you know how to hook up a braked U-Haul trailer, find one near you.