You’ve just received deployment papers and, depending on your military unit, you may have several months to prepare or you may have only a few short weeks. Either way…don’t panic! Using self-storage, whether you are being deployed for a few months or more than a year, can be a hassle-free process. Check out these predeployment military storage tips below.
Determine Your Needs:
While deployments vary, most call for packing, moving and storing belongings. Since military personnel aren’t always able to send large shipments of personal belongings overseas, determining storage needs ahead of time can be helpful. Here are some important questions to ask yourself prior to deployment to help determine your self-storage needs.
- What items will I be storing? Am I storing just a few small boxes or my entire household?
- What size and type of self-storage unit will I need to rent?
- Will I need a climate-controlled self storage unit?
- What type of accessibility/security will I need?
- Will I need to store my vehicle(s), boat or RV?
Choosing Self-Storage to Fit Your Needs:
After determining your needs, the next step is to choose a facility and unit. As mentioned in Moving Insider’s 5 things to Look for in Your Next Self- Storage Unit, it’s not really “where to find a storage unit,” since there is an abundance of storage facilities across the U.S., but rather “what features to look for in a storage unit.”
- Self-Storage Facility and Unit Size: U-Haul self-storage locations throughout North America have a variety of unit sizes and options for customers to choose from, such as climate controlled, indoor and outdoor drive-up self-storage. Knowing what size and type of storage you’ll need makes it much easier to budget for storage costs while deployed.
- Climate-Controlled Self-Storage: Climate-controlled self-storage is a great way to keep your possessions safe from the effects of harsh temperatures and humidity. While you may not know the length of your deployment, if you suspect it may be longer than a year, climate-controlled self-storage should definitely be considered since your items will be exposed to a four-season environment (in most cities). For more information on climate-controlled storage, check out this article on Moving Insider.
- Access and Security: If a spouse, family member or friend will need to access or check on your self- storage unit during your deployment, definitely consider the accessibility and security features at the storage facility you have chosen. U-Haul self-storage locations feature 24-hour security with electronically controlled access, state-of-the-art digital video surveillance, and your lock/your key.
- Vehicle, Boat and RV Storage: What about your car, boat or RV? Unless you have a spouse, family members or friends who plan to use these items during your deployment, you may want to consider a facility that offers gated vehicle storage. U-Haul allows you to search specifically for storage facilities that offer boat and RV storage.
*Do you have any predeployment storage preparation tips to share with us? If so, please share in the comment section below.