For more than 15 years now, U-Haul has offered a biodegradable packing peanut made primarily of corn and potato starch.
Technology & Efficiency
- U-Haul rental trucks have a low profile, rounded corners and advanced chassis skirts to reduce wind drag and improve fuel economy by up to 20%
- Fuel Economy Gauges are installed in every new-production U-Haul truck to provide real-time feedback to drivers to help optimize fuel consumption
- U-Haul trucks are painted with 3-Wet Paint technology allowing three layers of wet paint to be applied one on top of another and baked once, eliminating two paint ovens and resulting in a smaller, more energy-efficient paint shop
- U-Haul rental trucks use cheaper, cleaner and more convenient unleaded fuel
- Properly inflated radial tires and specially engineered Gentle-Ride Suspension ensure a smooth ride
- U-Haul trucks have more safety features than any other rental trucks in the industry
Pollution Prevention & Waste Management
3-Wet Paint: U-Haul partnered with Ford to create a high-solids-based paint formulation that produces fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and carbon dioxide emissions than do waterborne and medium-solids-based paints. This process contains more color pigment and, therefore, requires less paint to cover a vehicle.
pH Neutral Truck Wash: U-Haul washes trucks with a pH neutral cleaner specially designed to be effective, yet free of acids, alkalis and sodium. It will not cause corrosion of soft metals, such as aluminum, magnesium and zinc. Its ability to emulsify oils, grease, cutting oils and other forms of inorganic soil is outstanding.
Bioremediation: U-Haul uses naturally occurring microbes to convert oil and other petroleum product residue into harmless carbon dioxide and water. The microbes are non-toxic and non-pathogenic. The absorbent is non-leaching; once it absorbs a spill it will not release it back into the environment. Click the video below to learn more:
Energy Efficiency & Green Building
The majority of our U-Haul owned locations currently employ these principles:
Reduce: Water consumption with low-flow aerators, efficient plumbing devices and irrigation systems, and native landscape requiring infrequent watering
Reduce: Energy consumption with energy-efficient lighting, HVAC systems and day-lighting. To date, energy-efficient projects save more than 42,000,000 kWh every year
Reuse: Reclaimed rainwater with permeable ground cover parking lots
Recycle: Building and operation materials such as steel, aluminum, wood, paper, glass and plastics
At more than 1,100 convenient locations and growing, U-Haul Centers with propane refill stations collectively make up the largest propane dispensing infrastructure in North America for refilling BBQ grills, heaters, recreational vehicles, alternative-fuel vehicles and a range of other appliances. Propane, also known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), is one of our nation's most versatile, domestically produced, clean-burning energy sources.
U-Haul locations throughout North America take various actions to increase energy efficiency, such as installing HVAC systems and thermostats, efficient lighting fixtures, window and insulation upgrades and efficient industrial equipment (e.g., air compressors, commercial fans). Click the video below to see how U-Haul Towers in Phoenix, Arizona converted garage lighting fixtures to LED lighting, saving 240,000 kWh per year:
Permeable Ground Cover
By avoiding impervious pavement such as concrete and asphalt, U-Haul permeable ground cover initiatives help reduce many thousands of tons of greenhouse gas emissions and toxic air pollutants. Advantages include:
- Reduce storm-water runoff: water filters into the ground rather than creating an unnatural runoff
- Conserve and protect nature: allows filtration, which recharges the groundwater supply
- Treat and reduce storm-water pollutants: naturally occurring micro-organisms digest pollutants in the water
- Reduce the heat island effect: using light-colored or reflective pavement materials helps reduce temperature
- Eliminate or reduce the amount of land for detention: allows more open space and landscape in developments
As one of our environmental initiatives, the use of permeable ground cover is a better solution, providing environmental and storm-water benefits, and multifunctional solutions, for a more sustainable and beautiful answer to site design.
We are extremely proud of our recycled furniture pads. The environmental benefits that are achieved while providing the best furniture pad in the industry for our customer, plus the fact that we can keep the cost low for our customers, makes a win-win situation.