At U-Haul, we are committed to sustainability through environmental protection, social responsibility and economic efficiency. We embrace our responsibility to act as a good corporate citizen by continually improving the sustainable performance of our products, services and activities. We work to meet the needs of the people today without diminishing the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
The long-term success of U-Haul depends on our ability to integrate corporate sustainability and citizenship into our core business. This company was founded on the fundamental philosophy that “the division of use and specialization of ownership” was good for both our customers and the environment. The rental sharing concept is one of conscientious management of the Earth’s resources, while making these resources available to the Earth’s inhabitants. Our sustainability practice is to increase the shared use of our resources and promote sustainable local communities by helping more families move with U-Haul products and services.
We are accountable to our customers, employees, and all other stakeholders in the communities in which we live and serve. Our commitment to corporate social responsibility is consistent with long-established U-Haul Core Value Beliefs: We work at never forgetting that our quality self-move, self-storage and closely related services and products are to improve human lives. U-Haul is committed to integrating responsible environmental practices into our daily operations in a manner that delivers leading environmental, health and safety performance.
We remain committed to sustainability leadership through product and service innovation, creating mutual benefits for society and the long-term health of the Company. Since 1945, the U-Haul System has recognized the importance of operating with economy and effectiveness (E&E). More than 40 years ago, we began encouraging our customers to evaluate cost, not just price. "E&E" and "lowest cost" are concepts integral to corporate sustainability. It is our Primary Service Objective to provide a better and better product and service to more and more people at a lower and lower cost.
We believe the primary responsibility of U-Haul is to develop products and services to help people move and store their household and commercial goods in an economically, environmentally and socially responsible manner. To accomplish this, we:
- Continually improve the environmental, social, and economic performance of our products, services and activities.
- Pursue proactive solutions to pollution prevention, energy conservation and waste reduction in accordance with our principles to reduce, adaptively-reuse and recycle materials.
- Provide a safe, healthy and supportive environment that helps build a high-performing, diverse workforce.
- Integrate environmentally-friendly technologies and innovations into product and service lifecycle management.
- Develop and implement comprehensive climate-change strategies to manage and mitigate our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Promote sustainable local communities through operational responsibility, social investment, and philanthropic programs in accordance with our principles of availability, accessibility, affordability, and accountability.
- Enhance stakeholder engagement through active and effective communications to our customers, employees, dealers, shareholders, governments and communities, and business partners and suppliers.
We conduct business in a sustainable manner. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to take the long-term view of our operations, not just the quarterly or annual profit and loss statement. Short-term gains may result in long-term losses, both in terms of profitability and in terms of future generations being able to meet their needs. How carefully we utilize the resources, tools, equipment and facilities we have today determines our tomorrow.