When it’s time to start packing for a move, the first question most movers ask is “where can I get moving boxes?” The truth is you can find cardboard boxes just about anywhere. But if you want the best packing experience, you should use the best packing supplies. As the leader in do-it-yourself moving, U-Haul offers a wide variety of quality moving boxes designed to make moving easier. When you’re ready to get your move started, this guide will show you how U-Haul makes it easy to find and purchase the best moving boxes for your specific needs.
So, Where to Get Moving Boxes?
The best place to find moving boxes is a U-Haul store near you. There are thousands of U-Haul locations across the U.S. and Canada stocked with plenty of standard and specialty moving boxes.
But you don’t have to wait in line or even step foot in a U-Haul store to get the boxes you need. For your convenience, there are multiple ways to get moving boxes:
- Buy Boxes in Store – Visit your nearest U-Haul location in person, pick out your moving boxes, and make your purchase at the counter.
- Scan & Go – Skip the line and buy moving boxes at a U-Haul store using Scan & Go on a mobile device. Learn more about Scan & Go Self-Checkout.
- Online (Pick Up) – Find and purchase U-Haul moving boxes on uhaul.com, then pick up your supplies from a nearby U-Haul location as soon as two hours after checkout.
- Online (Delivery) – Find and purchase U-Haul moving boxes on uhaul.com, then have your supplies shipped directly to your doorstep via delivery service (such as FedEx).
Types of Moving Boxes Available at U-Haul Stores
You probably already know that moving boxes come in a variety of shapes and sizes. But did you know that some are made for specific items? These are often referred to as specialty moving boxes. Compared to standard moving boxes, specialty moving boxes are designed for packing oddly shaped items like golf clubs, flat screen TVs, mirrors, artwork, lamps, and more. See below for suggestions on what boxes to choose for your move.
Standard Moving Boxes
Standard moving boxes are the go-to for packing most of the items around your house. They come in four sizes to meet a wide variety of packing needs.
- Small Moving Box – Although small, this box can hold up to 65 pounds worth of household items, like books, canned food, small appliances, vinyl records, and more (16-3/8" x 12-5/8" x 12-5/8").
- Medium Moving Box – The most popular U-Haul moving box, the medium box is perfect for toys, lampshades, medium kitchen appliances, craft supplies, small bathroom and bedroom items, and more (18 1/8” x 18” x 16”).
- Large Moving Box – Pack a variety of bulky yet lightweight household goods like stuffed animals, folded clothing, stereo speakers, books, and more in a large moving box (18" x 18" x 24")
- Extra-Large Moving Box – Pack your bulkiest and lightest items in the extra-large moving box. Items like folded towels, blankets, pillows, comforters, couch cushions, and more (24" x 18" x 24").
- Heavy-Duty Box – If you need a bit more protection, a double-walled box is your heavy-duty go-to option. The double layer of cardboard offers superior side-wall protection against crushing and punctures. Available in small and larger sizes. Look for the double-walled logo in the top corner of U-Haul box print!
Specialty Moving Boxes
For certain items, a standard box won’t do. Instead, try a specialty moving box. Below are the most popular specialty moving boxes available at U-Haul:
- Wardrobe Box – Designed to make packing a closet quick and simple. Keep your clothes on hangers for a wrinkle-free move. Available in four sizes. Includes a metal-hanging bar.
- TV Box – The best and only way to pack a TV for moving. Comes with two telescoping boxes and four adjustable foam protectors. Fits TVs between 32” and 70”. If you’re planning a move, this is a must-have.
- Dish Box – Keeps fragile glassware in isolated cells for maximum protection. Pair your dish packing boxes with packing pager and cushion foam pouches for added safe keeping.
- Sport Utility Box – Crafted for golf clubs and other tall, narrow items up to 48” high. Perfect for storing your sporting equipment during the offseason.
- Lamp Box – Designed to store tall lamps (and similarly-shaped items) up to 40” high. Can also be used for packing telescopes, tall vases, golf clubs, and more.
- Mirror/Picture Box – Ideal for packing wall décor including mirrors, framed photos and valuable artwork. Pair with a Picture Packer Kit to create a snug fit in the box.
Where to Find Free Moving Boxes (Or Cheap Moving Boxes)
If you’re a thrifty mover, or simply moving on a budget, you may be wondering where you can get cheap or even free moving boxes. U-Haul offers multiple ways you can save money on your moving boxes and other moving supplies.
Take a Box, Leave a Box
If you’re looking for free cardboard boxes, check your local U-Haul store. Every single U-Haul location has a “Take a Box, Leave a Box” station where movers can leave their gently used moving boxes when they return their truck. Movers in need are welcome to take as many moving boxes as they need from this area for free (and bring them back when they’re done).
Need more free boxes? Try the U-Haul Exchange. This online resource helps local movers connect and exchange new and used moving supplies. Simply search for boxes (or whatever you need) in your area and see what’s available. When you’re done, create a post and help another mover in need. It’s an effortless way to reduce waste and help movers save money on moving boxes.
Buy Moving Boxes in Bulk
Buying moving boxes in bulk is an easy way to get new moving boxes but still save money. When you buy in bulk, you save big. If you end up with more than you need, U-Haul will buy back your unused boxes for a full refund. All standard U-Haul moving boxes are available in bundles of 10, 15, 20, and 25, depending on the box.
How Many Moving Boxes Do I Need?
Now that you know where to get moving boxes and the types of boxes that are available, it’s time to figure out how many moving boxes you need. A fast and easy way to determine this is by using a Moving Supplies Calculator. Simply enter basic information about your home (how many bedrooms, how much “stuff” you have, what types of rooms you’re packing, etc.) and this tool will recommend various moving supplies and quantities, which you can customize based on your moving needs.